|Ghanaian Biometric Passport|
The front cover of a contemporary Ghanaian biometric passport (with chip ).
|Issued by||Ghana (Government of Ghana)|
|Type of document||Biometric Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Ghanaian Citizenship|
|Expiration||5 years after acquisition for both adults and children|
"GH₵50.00" (32p) Regular service [15 working days]
Ghanaian passports are passports issued exclusively by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration to Ghanaians granted citizenship in accordance with the Ghanaian nationality law. There are three types of passport booklets – regular, service and diplomatic passports. Ghanaian passport booklets are valid for travel by Ghanaians anywhere in the world, although travel to certain countries and/or for certain purposes may require a visa. More than one valid Ghanaian passport of the same type may not be held.
- 1 Manual Ghanaian Biometric Passport
- 2 Gallery of Historic Ghanaian Passports
- 3 Ghanaian Biometric Passport
- 4 References
- 5 See also
Manual Ghanaian Biometric Passport
Types of Ghanaian Biometric Passports
- Contemporary Ghanaian biometric passport
- Issuable to all citizens and non-citizen nationals and valid for five years from the date of issue.
- Service Ghanaian biometric passport
- issued to officials attached to government institutions who have to travel on official business
- Diplomatic Ghanaian biometric passport
- Issuable to Ghanaian diplomats accredited overseas and their eligible dependents.
Ghanaian Biometric Passport Format
- Paper size B7 (ISO/IEC 7810 ID-3, 88 mm × 125 mm)
- 32 pages (Ghanaian biometric passports with more pages can be issued to frequent travelers)
Ghanaian Biometric Passport Cover
Ghanaian biometric contemporary passport is hunter green in color, Ghanaian biometric service passport is cadet grey in color, and Ghanaian biometric diplomatic passport is auburn in color, with the words ‘REPUBLIC OF GHANA‘ inscribed on top of the booklet. The flag emblem of the West African subregion ECOWAS and of the African continent is prominently emblazoned in the center of the cover page, followed on the bottom by the inscription of the words PASSPORT on contemporary biometric passports, SERVICE PASSPORT on service biometric passports, and DIPLOMATIC PASSPORT on diplomatic biometric passports.
Ghanaian Biometric Passport Identification Page
1. Type 2. Code of Issuing State 3. Passport No. 4. Surname 5. Given name(s) 6. Nationality 7. Date of birth 8. Residence 9. Sex 10. Place of birth 11. Place of Issue 12. Date of issue 13. Date of expiry
Ghanaian Biometric Passport Photographs
The standards are:
- 2 in × 2 in (5.1 cm × 5.1 cm)
- Front view, full face, open eyes, closed mouth, and natural expression
- Full head from top of hair to shoulders
- Red background
- No shadows on face or in background
- No sunglasses; no hat
- Normal contrast and lighting
Ghanaian Biometric Passport Message
Biometric passports of many countries contain a message, nominally from the official who is in charge of biometric passport issuance (e.g., secretary of state, minister of foreign affairs), addressed to authorities of other countries. The message identifies the bearer as a citizen of the issuing country, requests that he or she be allowed to enter and pass through the other country, and requests further that, when necessary, he or she be given help consistent with international norms. In Ghanaian biometric passports, the message is in English and reads:
- These are to request and require in the name of the President of the Republic of Ghana all those whom it may concern to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance and to afford him or her every assistance and protection of which he or she may stand in need.
Ghanaian Biometric Passport Fees
A Ghanaian biometric passport applicant who applies in person pays a processing fee. The amount depends on whether the Ghanaian biometric passport applicant is applying for a new passport or replacement biometric passport. The current fee for a new Ghanaian biometric passport booklet is "GH₵100.00" for express service delivery and "GH₵50.00" for regular service delivery.
Gallery of Historic Ghanaian Passports
Ghanaian Biometric Passport
To conform to the recommended standards (i.e., size, composition, layout, technology) set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the Government of Ghana's cabinet Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has issued only Ghanaian e-passports as standard since March 2010, though non-biometric passports are valid until their expiry dates or November 2015, whichever is sooner.
Under these Ghanaian biometric passports, the three types of passports – contemporary, service, and diplomat – are color-coded. Contemporary biometric passports appear hunter green in color, service biometric passports appear in space cadet in color, and diplomatic biometric passports appear auburn in color. Additionally, the Ghanaian coat of arms has been replaced by the flag emblem of the West African subregion ECOWAS and of the African continent is prominently emblazoned in the center of the cover page and the words "Republic of Ghana" are inscribed, The Government of Ghana has opted use both French and English for its Ghanaian biometric passports.
Another change with the introduction of the Ghanaian biometric passports is the choice of regular or expedited biometric passport delivery service. It is expected that the new Ghanaian biometric passports are delivered within 3 to 15 days after the application has been received. Currently, the fee for regular service delivery is "GH₵50.00", and for express service delivery is "GH₵100.00" to have it expedited.
To facilitate the application for and acquisition of Ghanaian biometric passports, Passport Application Centers (PACs) have been set up around the country of Ghana. The PACs in Accra accept applications; the PACs in Kumasi accept applications; the PACs in Tamale accept applications; the PACs in Ho accept applications; the PACs in Sekondi-Takoradi accept applications; and the PACs in Sunyani accept applications.
- "Ghanaian Biometric Passport Acquisition". ghanaimmigration.org. Ghana Immigration Service.
- Ghana Immigration-Eligibility. ghanaimmigration.org.
- Bio-Passports Ready: Migration Starts Tuesday. GhanaWeb. 19 March 2010.
- Ghanaians to get biometric passports in 2010. ghanabusinessnews.com. 22 March 2009.
- Ghana’s biometric passport ready. ghanabusinessnews.com. 19 March 2010.