|Dr. Ghananand Pande|
|Born||1 January 1902|
Ranikhet, Almora district in Uttarakhand
|Education||B.E. in Civil Engineering|
Ghananand Pande (1 January 1902 – before 1995) was an Indian scientist. He not only served at key positions in the Government of India but also made significant contribution towards nurture and education of young talents. He was honored with the highest civilian award of India, Padma Vibhushan in year 1969.
Born in a small town of Almora district, in present state of Uttarakhand, Pande completed his primary and secondary schooling there. He then moved to Allahabad where he passed his undergraduate examination from Allahabad University in first division of 1922. He then did completed B.E. in Civil Engineering from Thomson College of Civil Engineering, Roorkee (now the IIT Roorkee) in 1925. Thereafter he joined the Indian Railways as an engineer.
He performed his work in a distinctive manner and was soon appointed as General Manager of Mokameh Bridge over Ganga. He retired as the Chairman of the Railway Board and Secretary, Ministry of Railway in the Government of India after serving the post for three years in 1957. From 1958 to 1960 he was Chairman of the Steel Board and from 1961–1966, Vice-Chancellor of Roorkee University. Between 1966 and 1973 he worked in various senior positions in the Government of India.
- During his tenure as the Chairman of Railway Board, three public sector steel plants at Bhilai, Rourkela and Durgapur were set up and commissioned under his supervision.
- He conceived the idea of Baby Car project, 1960–61 and recommended manufacture of small cars.
- He established The Institution of Engineers (India) at Roorkee University during his tenure as the Vice-chancellor.
He was conferred the honorary degree of Doctor of Engineering by Roorkee University, and Doctor of Science by Kumaon University for his significant contribution towards education of aspiring students. He was also awarded Padma Vibhushan in 1969 for his Civil Service. He was nominated from state Uttar Pradesh.
- Pāṇḍe, Ghanānanda; Sobana Siṃha Jīnā; Maheshwar P. Joshi; Lalita Prabhā Jośī (1995). Uttaranchal Himalaya: anthropology, archaeology, art, botany, economics, geography, geology, history, and sociology. Shree Almora Book Depot. pp. xii. ISBN 8185865280.
- "Ghananad Pandey". Archived from the original on 27 September 2010. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Luminaries of IIT Roorkee". IIT Roorkee. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "Padma Award from Uttarakhand". Apna Uttarakhand. Retrieved 11 June 2012.