Gharyan District or Garian District (Arabic: شعبية غريان) was one of the districts of Libya. It was located in the northwest part of the country and its capital was Gharyan. Under the 2007 reorganization of districts, it became part of Jabal al Gharbi District.
Gharyan District was governed by a district congress which had ten committees that conducted day-to-day management and oversight. Those committees were: Marine resources; Manpower, Employment and Training; Planning; Justice; Economy and Trade; Tourism; Public Security; Agriculture and Livestock; Industry, Mines and Energy; and Housing and Utilities.
Prior to 2007 Gharyan bordered the following districts:
- Jafara - north
- Tarhuna Wa Msalata - east
- Bani Walid - southeast, at a quadripoint
- Mizda - south
- Yafran - west
Attractions and communities
- "شعبية غريان (Gharyan District)", Website of the General People's Committee of Libya, dated 15 October 2006, as preserved by Internet Archive
- "الشعبيات بالجماهيرية" ("Districts of Libya") Website of the General People's Committee of Libya, dated 30 August 2006, as preserved by Internet Archive
- "شعبية غريان (Gharyan District)", Website of the General People's Committee of Libya, dated 13 May 2006, as preserved by Internet Archive
- شعبيات الجماهيرية العظمى – Sha'biyat of Great Jamahiriya, accessed July 6 2007, in Arabic
- Lady of Garian
|This Libya location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|