This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in 1951 in Lebanon, he studied law (Saint Joseph University, University of Paris); literature (PhD, University of Paris); and political science (PhD, University of Paris).
Ghassan Salamé taught international relations at the American University of Beirut and Saint Joseph University in Beirut and, later, at the University of Paris. He was also Senior Advisor to the United Nations Secretary-General (2003–2006) and Political Advisor to the UN Mission in Iraq (2003). In 2000-2003, he was Lebanon’s Minister of Culture, as well as Chairman and Spokesman of the Organization Committee for the Arab Summit (March 2002) and of the Francophone Summit (October 2002) in Beirut. Ghassan Salamé presently sits on the board of the International Crisis Group (Brussels), the International Peace Institute (New York), the Open Society Foundations, the Bibliotheca Alexandrina (Egypt), and several other non-profit organizations. He is the chairman of the Arab Fund for Arts and Culture. Salamé also sat on the Board of the Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue from 2011 to 2015.
Ghassan Salamé is the author of (inter alia) Quand l’Amérique refait le monde; Appels d'empire: ingérences et résistances à l'âge de la mondialisation; State and Society in the Arab Levant, and editor (inter alia) of Democracy Without Democrats: Politics of Liberalization in the Arab and Muslim World; The Politics of Arab Integration and The Foundations of the Arab State. His essays have been published in Foreign Policy, Revue française de science politique, European Journal of International Affairs, The Middle East Journal and other scholarly journals.
Selected Public Speeches and Articles
- Les raisons des révoltes arabes. Le Monde, 8 février 2011.
- Ghassan Salamé, poisson pilote des élites émergentes : l’ancien conseiller spécial de Kofi Annan, alors secrétaire général de l’ONU, dirige aujourd’hui la nouvelle Paris School of International Affairs de Sciences-Po. La Croix, October 21, 2010.
- Discours à l’ambassade du Qatar à Paris. Cérémonie honorant Hubert Védrine et Ghassan Salamé, September 22, 2010.
- Middle Easts, old and new, presented at the Oil and Money Conference, London, October 21, 2009.
- A Clash of Norms, speech at the UN General Assembly on the 60th Anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, New York, December 10, 2008.
- Centre for Humanitarian Dialogu. "The Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue welcomes two new Board members" (PDF). Centre for Humanitarian Dialogue.