Ghayal: Once Again
|Ghayal Once Again|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sunny Deol|
|Screenplay by||Vishal Vijay Kumar |
|Story by||Sagar Pandya |
|Music by||Shankar Ehsaan Loy |
|Edited by||Chandan Arora|
|Box office||₹57.64 crore|
Ghayal: Once Again (transl. Wounded: Once again) is a 2016 Indian action drama film written and directed by Sunny Deol and produced by Dharmendra. The sequel to the 1990 film Ghayal stars Sunny Deol in the lead role. The film was released worldwide on February 5, 2016.
The film opens with flashbacks of Ghayal. An angry young man Ajay Mehra shoots and kills Balwant Rai (who had murdered Ajay's brother) and surrenders himself to upright cop Joe D'Souza. Ajay is sentenced to prison. Upon his release he begins a new career as a reporter for an independent newspaper, but also works as a vigilante who assists the police with their hard-to-prosecute cases (including cases where the accused are prominent and influential members of society).
One such case involves small town reporter Renu who was drugged and raped by her boss, the media baron Rajguru. Renu committed suicide and Rajguru's men covered up the matter, implicating her innocent boyfriend. Ajay swings into action and abducts Rajguru, soon forcibly obtaining a DNA swab. Rajguru is then arrested and Ajay is declared a sensational hero. However, Ajay still suffers anxiety attacks from his painful memories of his past. His girlfriend Riya, a psychiatrist, helps him with his problems.
Joe D'Souza has retired and is now a social activist. Ajay often collaborates with him and helps him out. Later on, however, D'Souza is killed in a traffic accident in Panvel. Young blogger Zoya Saigal is shocked to discover that Joe was, in fact, shot dead. She had accidentally captured the murder on video, committed by Kabir Raj Bansal, son of business tycoon Raj Bansal. Zoya and her friends panic and want to take the video to the cops but Anushka's (Zoya's friend) grandfather infers that Raj Bansal had staged the road accident (where 8 other innocent people were killed) and stops them, due to Bansal's power. It is further revealed that D'Souza had visited Raj Bansal and directly accused him of a land grab. Bansal tried to buy him off, but an argument ensues, and Kabir, in a fit of rage, shot D'Souza. The accident was a cover up. Bansal privately realizes that Kabir is still a bratty kid and decides to enrol him into a military school.
Following her grandfather's advice, Anushka turns the video over to the lawyer, Kriplani, in order to ensure the children remain safe. However, Kriplani quietly returns it to Bansal, and his son Rohan, also a friend of Zoya, realizes that his father has given up the video and thus urges Zoya to reach Ajay Mehra. As the children hurry to reach Ajay, they are intercepted by Bansal's thugs. A chase ensues and Ajay saves the children, recovering the video. Riya takes the children to the hospital, but they are yet again abducted by Bansal's men.
It is soon revealed that Anushka is Ajay's own daughter. Kabir tortures the children until Bansal, tired of his son's tantrums, warns him away. Bansal holds Ajay's daughter and releases the other children. He tells Ajay that his daughter will henceforth stay with Bansal in order to ensure the safety of Kabir. Bansal's mother objects but Bansal, locked in moral conflict, waves her away. Bansal orders the Home Minister to arrest Ajay Mehra.
Ajay overcomes the cops and mounts an attack on the Bansal mansion to rescue his daughter. There is a fierce fight. Ajay rescues his own daughter as well as Bansal's daughter who gets trapped in the debris. Bansal surrenders and is arrested along with his son. The film ends as Ajay and his daughter recover in the hospital surrounded by their friends.
- Sunny Deol as Ajay Mehra
- Soha Ali Khan as Riya
- Shivam Patil as Rohan
- Rishabh Arora as Varun
- Diana Khan as Zoya Sehgal
- Aanchal Munjal as Anushka (Ajay Mehra's Daughter)
- Om Puri as ACP Joe D'Souza
- Narendra Jha as Raj Bansal
- Manoj Joshi as Home Minister Kaka Sahib
- Tisca Chopra Sheetal Bansal
- Ruhanika Dhawan as Ananya Bansal
- Sachin Khedekar as Lawyer Kriplani and Rohan's father
- Ramesh Deo Anushka's grandfather and Varsha's father
- Srijitaa Ghosh as Renu
- Nadira Babbar as Raj Bansal's mother
- Abhilash Kumar as Kabir Bansal
- Zakir Hussain as Police Commissioner Ashraf Iqbal
- Satyajeet Puri as Ajay Mehra's Friend and Al Noor
- Harsh Chhaya as Aditya Rajguru
- Neha Khan as Zoya II
Meenakshi Seshadri, Raj Babbar, Moushumi Chatterjee, and Amrish Puri appear as Varsha, Ajay Mehra's Elder Brother, Ajay Mehra's Sister in law, and Balwant Rai respectively from Archive Footage from Ghayal
|Ghayal Once Again|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|1.||"Lapak Jhapak"||Armaan Malik Siddharth Mahadevan Yashita Sharma||4:15|
|2.||"Khuda Hai Tere Andar"||Arijit Singh||5:12|
- @taran_adarsh (5 January 2016). "Sunny Deol to release #GhayalOnceAgain on 5 Feb. A top studio has joined hands with Sunny and require substantial time for more promotions" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "GHAYAL ONCE AGAIN (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. 2 February 2016. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Hungama, Bollywood. "Special Features: Box Office: Worldwide collections of Ghayal Once Again - Box Office, Bollywood Hungama". Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "It's Arjun Once Again ...Sunny Deol Shoots Youth Anthem Once Again". dna. 8 May 2015. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Sunny Deol is determined to make 'Ghayal' sequel". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "Ghayal Once Again teaser: Old bottle, stale wine".
- "Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal Once Again' release pushed to 5 February 2016". The Indian Express. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "Sunny Deol hunting for new faces for 'Ghayal Returns'". mid-day. 13 August 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Sunny Deol is determined to make 'Ghayal' sequel". November 18, 2013. The Times of India. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "PHOTOS: Sunny Deol starrer 'Ghayal Once Again' box office collections soar to Rs 14.85 cr by day 2 - The Financial Express". The Financial Express. 6 February 2016.
- @taran_adarsh (8 February 2016). "#GhayalOnceAgain Fri 7.20 cr, Sat 7.65 cr, Sun 8.40 cr. Total: ₹ 23.25 cr. India biz" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "After 'Ghayal Once Again', Sunny Deol's 'Ghayal 3' is likely soon". 12 February 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- "I feel like I am launching myself all over again, says Sunny Deol - Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". 12 February 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2016.