Ghent, West Virginia
|Census-designated place (CDP)|
A dusting of snow in Ghent
|• Total||1.612 sq mi (4.18 km2)|
|• Land||1.281 sq mi (3.32 km2)|
|• Water||0.331 sq mi (0.86 km2)|
|• Density||280/sq mi (110/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Wikinews has related news: Several dead after gas station explosion|
The community's name commemorates the Treaty of Ghent. On January 30, 2007, the Flat Top Little General Store (a local convenience store) on U.S. Route 19 exploded, killing four people and injuring several others, near the Winterplace Ski Resort.
The climate in this area has mild differences between highs and lows, and there is adequate rainfall year round. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Ghent has a marine west coast climate, abbreviated "Cfb" on climate maps.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ghent, West Virginia.|
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Kenny, Hamill (1945). West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of the Streams and Mountains. Piedmont, WV: The Place Name Press. p. 266.
- This community also has a TV station that is affiliated with the CBS network, TV 59.Urbina, Ian (January 31, 2007). "4 Killed in Gas Explosion Near West Virginia Resort". The New York Times. Retrieved February 1, 2007.
- Climate Summary for Ghent, West Virginia
The small community is also accompanied by 3 local churches,Ghent elementary school,the local fire department and post office, 2 general stores, a small locally owned restaurant,two small rental stores, The Ski barn and The Ski Shop as well as a hotel.It is located directly off the exit to Ghent and is known as a small well knit community of friends and families.
|This article about a location in Raleigh County, West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|