||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ghillie Başan, (born 30 August 1962), is a Scottish-based food and travel writer, cook and workshop host. Her books have been nominated for the Glenfiddich, Guild of Food Writers’, and Cordon Bleu awards.
Brought up in Kenya where her parents were doctors, Basan was sent to boarding school in Scotland from where she got an entrance to Edinburgh University to study languages. Once at university, Basan switched her course from languages to Social Anthropology.
Basan met her husband in Turkey and they moved to live in the US for a couple of years before returning to Scotland. Their first book, Classic Turkish Cookery, was nominated for two awards and gained them a weekly slot on the Sunday Herald and a contract for their second book, The Middle Eastern Kitchen. The couple are no longer together.
Basan has now written over 40 books and her articles have appeared in the Sunday Herald, Scotland on Sunday, BBC Good Food Magazine, TasteTurkey, and Today’s Diet and Nutrition. From her home, she runs cookery workshops and travels widely to research and write her books.
- Classic Turkish Cookery, ISBN 1-86064-011-7
- The Middle Eastern Kitchen, ISBN 1-85626-608-7
- Modern Moroccan, ISBN 1-903141-14-1
- Vietnamese: Fragrant & Exotic, ISBN 1-903141-25-7
- The Food & Cooking of Vietnam and Cambodia, ISBN 0-7548-1577-3
- The Food & Cooking of Malaysia and Singapore, ISBN 978-1903141359
- The Food & Cooking of Indonesia and the Philippines, ISBN 1-903141-35-4
- Turkish Cooking, ISBN 1-903141-39-7
- The Food & Cooking of Turkey, ISBN 978-0-7548-1763-5
- Lebanese Food & Cooking, ISBN 978-1-903141-69-4
- Tagine, ISBN 978-1-84597-478-7
- Flavours of Morocco, ISBN 978-184597605-7
- Tagines & Couscous, ISBN 1-84597-947-8
- Kebabs & other light grills, ISBN 1-84597-973-7
- Food Lovers' Moroccan, ISBN 978-1-4054-9563-9
- The Complete Book of Turkish Food, ISBN 978-1-84681-176-0
- The Food & Cooking of Cambodia, ISBN 978-1-84476-351-1
- Classic Recipes, Tastes & Traditions of Malaysia and Singapore, ISBN 978-0-7548-1856-4
- The Cooking of Indonesia and the Philippines, ISBN 978-0-7548-1905-9
- The Moon's Our Nearest Neighbour, ISBN 0-7515-3129-4
Basan is separated and is raising her 2 kids Yazzie and Zeki alone but she explains her child raising experience in a very different way. As she is a professional cook, she says raising kids along with following your passion is somewhat complicated as both are very dear to her. Her husband left in 2001 and since then she has managed to raise her kids by walking hand to hand with them in all walks of life. She even didn't leave her cottage and with a push in her motivation by her ownself allowed her to live up to her own expectation and live the life she dreamed of. According to her, this is not a complete life but still she has received good things at her end.
- http://www.worldfoodmediaawards.com/nominees.html "Le Cordon Bleu World Food Media Awards 2010"
- http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/14072/Interview-Ghillie-Basan-.5114345.jp "The Original Spice Girl"[full citation needed]
- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article820129.ece "Onward and upward"[full citation needed]
- Ghillie Basan official website www.ghilliebasan.com