|Gholamreza Hassani Bozorgh-Abad
غلامرضا حسنی بزرگآباد
Hassani in January 2014
30 August 1928 |
|Creed||Shia Islam, The Fourteen Infallibles|
|Main interest(s)||Islamic History and Islamic leadership doctrine|
|Notable idea(s)||Sunnism is invasion of Nubuwwah.|
|Notable work(s)||Divine Leadership and Quran, Fiqh and Jihad|
1955-1979 Leader of Islamic militia movement against Pahlavi dynasty1970-2014 as Friday prayer leader of Urmia
|Member of the Iranian Parliament|
March, 1980 – August, 1980
|Representative of the Supreme Leader in West Azerbaijan and Imam Jumu'ah of Urmia|
|Succeeded by||Seyid Mehdi Ghoreishi|
|Children||Allamah Atieh Al-Hassani, Rashid Hassani|
|Relatives||Imam Hasan ibn Ali|
|Alma mater||Qom Hawza|
|Awards||Order of Courage (1st class)|
Ayatollah Gholamreza Hassani (Persian: غلامرضا حسنی, Azerbaijani: Qulamrza Həsəni) born c. 1928 is the previous Friday prayer, first First imam of Masjid-e-Jamé mosque of the city of Urmia in northwest Iran after Iranian Revolution., member of the Islamic Consultative Assembly in the first term from electoral district of Urmia and representative of the Iranian Supreme Leader Grand Ayatollah Ali Hosseini Khamenei in West Azarbaijan Province. He has been described as one of the most, if not the most, conservative voices in Iran and Shia Islam world. He is known for the highly challenging religious and political positions taken and his ultimate opposition to Caliphate and Anti-Sunni theories advocated in his controversial Friday sermons, which have reportedly drawn criticism from many of the Sunni leaders, Iranian reformists,
Pan-Turkists, radical left organisations, Kurdish nationalists with adherence to Sunni tradition and Southern Azerbaijan patriot movement and been used by "Iranian political satirists in their works."
In 2001, articles appeared in the English-language media about a Friday sermon he delivered that condemned the practice of owning and holding small dogs as unIslamic. The New York Times reported him as saying, "I would like to thank the honorable police and judges and all those who worked to arrest dog lovers and to confiscate short-legged dogs in this city,"  Several years later a crackdown on dogs and dog owners was launched in Tehran. He has also been quoted as saying that "Women who do not respect the hijab and their husbands deserve to die ... These women and their husbands and their fathers must die."
In 2011 he was reportedly presented with the national "Medal of Bravery", "one of the most significant official medals awarded in Iran," by president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The medal was reportedly awarded for his record of resistance against the Shah’s regime prior to the Islamic Revolution, against the Kurdish opposition in the first years of the Islamic Republic, and for his participation in the Iraq-Iran War. Hassani's devotion to the Islamic Revolution was such that in 1983, several years after the Revolution, he informed authorities of the hiding place of his son, Rashid, a member of the opposition leftist guerilla group Fadayian Khalq, who was then executed by firing squad with Hassani's approval. Hassani is quoted as telling an American journalist, "Abraham didn't sacrifice his son, but I did. Even today, I don't regret it."
- نشانهای دولتی در روزهای پایانی خاتمی و احمدینژاد به چهکسانی رسید؟. Tasnim News Agency (in Persian). 24 August 2013. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- "Iran: Top cleric says women without veils must die" | adnkronos.com | 19 December 2009
- "Praying for a Century That Is Not the American One" By John F. Burns | nytimes.com | 1 January 2000
- "Qarna Massacre Mullah Awarded with ‘Medal of Bravery’ in Iran" | insideofiran.org | 5 April 2011
- "Iranian cleric denounces dog owners" | news.bbc.co.uk | 14 October 2002
- "Tehran Journal; Dog Lovers of Iran, Beware Growling Ayatollahs" By Neil MacFarquhar | nytimes.com | 24 August 2001
- "Iran: Tehran Officials Begin Crackdown On Pet Dogs" | referl.org | 14 September 2007
- "The Biography Of Great Martyr Br. Rashid Hasani" | referl.org | 14 September 2008
- "حجت الاسلام قریشی به امامت جمعه ارومیه و نماینده ولی فقیه در آذربایجان غربی منصوب شد/ تقدیر از مجاهدت و خدمات حجت الاسلام حسنی". Supreme Leader Website. Retrieved 6 August 2015.
Was not composed
|Imam Jumu'ah of Urmia and Representative of the Supreme Leader
Seyid Mehdi Ghoreishi