Artwork for the song, featuring Deepika Padukone
|Song by Shreya Ghoshal and Swaroop Khan|
|from the album Padmaavat|
|Language||Hindi & Rajasthani|
|Released||25 October 2017|
|Recorded||12 July 2016|
|Studio||Wow & Flutter Studio, Mumbai|
|Genre||Filmi, Rajasthani Folk|
|Composer(s)||Sanjay Leela Bhansali|
|Padmaavat track listing|
"Ghoomar" (Hindi: घूमर) is a song sung by Shreya Ghoshal and Swaroop Khan from the film Padmaavat (earlier Padmavati) 2018. The music of the song was composed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali while the lyrics were provided by A. M. Turaz and Swaroop Khan. The music video of the track features Deepika Padukone, Shahid Kapoor and Anupriya Goenka. The movie is dubbed in Tamil and Telugu and hence the song was also released as "Goomar" in Tamil and "Jhoommani Jhoommani Aade" in Telugu. The Tamil and Telugu versions as well were sung by Ghoshal.
On 12 July 2016, Shreya Ghoshal recorded "Ghoomar" which was mixed and mastered by Tanay Gajjar at Wow & Flutter Studio in Mumbai. Ghoshal considered the track as a "landmark" in her career. The music video of the track features Deepika Padukone, Shahid Kapoor and Anupriya Goenka. Padukone had undergone training with a Rajasthani dance teacher Jyoti D Tommar, on a routine of three hours a day for twelve days. She did over sixty six twirls during the shooting of the song. Filming for the song was completed in four days. The song was named from the traditional Rajasthani folk dance Ghoomar which is characterized by its signature twirls. Padukone considered the song as "one of the most difficult song sequences" she had performed. Padukone's look for the "Ghoomar" song features intricate jewellery weighing up to 3 kg designed by Tanishq featuring a triple Borla, Mathapatti and Bajuband which are traditional ornaments worn by the Rajasthani women. Also, she wore a lehenga designed by Rimple Narula which costs approximately (₹2 million) and weighs 30 kg.
"Ghoomar" was released on 25 October 2017 where Deepika Padukone was seen performing the traditional Rajasthani folk dance on a set that replicates the interior of Chittorgarh Fort. It features Padukone as Rani Padmavati, performing Ghoomar along with sixty chorus dancers, in front of Mahrawal Ratan Singh (Shahid Kapoor) and his first wife Nagmati (Anupriya Goenka). It was choreographed by Kruti Mahesh Midya and Jyoti D Tommar. The colour palette of the video is majorly pale golden and light brown.
Release and reception
The song was released on 25 October 2017 on T-Series YouTube page. On the same day of release, it was made available for online streaming at Saavn and Gaana. It garnered more than 10 Million views within 24 hours and gained highest number of views for T-Series in 24 hours. Apart from trending worldwide, it was trended at top position in India on Twitter. It also trended at second position on YouTube (India) for several days and completed 100 million views on 27 January 2018.
Upon release, the song along with the film became controversial. On Twitter, complaints against the song was echoed, claiming that it portrays the Rajput queen Padmavati in a bad light. In November 2017, protests were held against the song claiming that "Rajput queens never danced before anybody". Women from Rajput community joined protests and criticised the song; "The queen is shown performing the ghoomar dance in indecent clothes, which is a faulty portrayal of Rajputs. A Rajput queen would never perform before an audience nor bare her midriff". On 22 November 2017, an Education Officer in Dewas issued an order prohibiting the use of "Ghoomar", in any school function. However, a day later the district collector ordered the withdrawal of the circular with immediate effect. On 17 January 2018, it was reported that Home Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Bhupendra Singh remarked that the song "should not be played as the release of the film was banned in the state" during the time, which he denied a day later.
On 30 December 2017, it was reported that Central Board of Film Certification's examining committee asked the film's producers to remove the shots revealing Padukone's midriff for a more modest representation of Padmavati. However, Sanjay Leela Bhansali preferred to bring relevant modifications through computer graphics. On 20 January 2018, a new version of the song was released, which covers Padukone's midriff via computer-generated imagery.
The film is dubbed in Tamil and Telugu and hence the song was also released in both languages on 22 January 2018. The Tamil version of the song, "Goomar" is by Shreya Ghoshal with additional vocals by Divya Kumar and lyrics by Madhan Karky. The Telugu version, "Jhoommani Jhoommani Aade" is again sung by Shreya Ghoshal with additional vocals by Divya Kumar while the lyrics are penned by Chaitanya Prasad.
|2019||Filmfare Awards||Shreya Ghoshal||Best Female Playback Singer||Won |
|Kruti Mahesh Midya, Jyothi D Tommar||Best Choreography|
|2019||National Film Awards||Best Choreography||Won|
|2019||Zee Cine Awards||Best Choreography||Won |
|2019||Mirchi Music Awards||Shreya Ghoshal||Female Vocalist of the year||Won |
|Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Shreya Ghoshal, Swaroop Khan, A. M. Turaz||Song of the Year|
|Tanay Gajjar, Rahul Sharma||Best Song Engineer (Recording & Mixing)|
|Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Shreya Ghoshal, Swaroop Khan, A. M. Turaz||Raag-Inspired Song of the Year||Nominated|
|2019||Star Screen Awards||Shreya Ghoshal||Best Female Playback||Nominated|
|Kruti Mahesh Midya, Jyothi D Tommar||Best Choreography||Won|
|2019||Sony Mix Audience Music Awards||Nominations for Best Playback Singer (Female)||Shreya Ghoshal||Nominated|
|Koimoi Bollywood Awards||Best Female Singer||Shreya Ghoshal||Won|
|Gaana User's Choice Awards||Best Female Singer||Shreya Ghoshal||Nominated|
- "Padmavati: Shreya Ghoshal records first song for Deepika Padukone-starrer". Hindustan Times. 13 July 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Basu, Nilanjana (25 October 2017). "Padmavati: How Deepika Padukone Perfected The Many Ghoomar Twirls". NDTV. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Padmavati song 'Ghoomar' is dance tribute to brave Rajput women of Rajasthan, says Sanjay Leela Bhansali". Firstpost. 26 October 2017. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Unnikrishnan, Chaya (25 October 2017). "66 Twirls! Deepika Padukone shot for the traditional Ghoomar dance in heavy jewellery and costume for 'Padmavati'". NDTV. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Ghoomar Jewellery by Tanishq". News18. 26 October 2017. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "The making of Padmavati song Ghoomar: Deepika Padukone's 66 twirls, 30kg lehenga and more". Hindustan Times. 26 October 2017. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- "Deepika Padukone To Dance Amidst 400 Lamps For A Ghoomar Dance Sequence In SLB's 'Padmavati'". The Times of India. 28 November 2016. Archived from the original on 2 December 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "The grandness of Deepika's 'Ghoomar' song in Padmavati will leave you spellbound". Bollywood Hungama. 28 November 2016. Archived from the original on 2 December 2016. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Padmavati: The mystery behind the actress seen in Deepika's Ghoomar song revealed". Deccan Chronicle. 28 October 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Sharma, Devansh (25 October 2017). "Watch: In Padmavati song 'Ghoomar' Deepika Padukone, Sanjay Leela Bhansali adhere to folk nuances". Firstpost. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Ghoomar at Saavn". Saavn. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Gaana Online Straming: Ghoomar". Gaana. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Madhuri Dixit-Nene lauds Deepika Padukone for performance in 'Padmavati' song 'Ghoomar'". The Tribune. 30 October 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Highest Number of views for T-Series in 24 hrs". Padmavati. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Ghoomar song from Padmavati is out and Twitter can't keep calm!". Times Now. 25 October 2017. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- Shah, Aashna (15 November 2017). "Deepika Padukone's Padmavati Ghoomar Slammed: 'Maharanis Never Danced For Anyone'". NDTV. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "'A Rajput queen would never perform ghoomar before an audience nor bare her midriff'". Hindustan Times. 10 November 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Education officer bans Ghoomar in schools, collector revokes order". The Times of India. 24 November 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "'Padmavati' song 'Ghoomar' in banned in schools of M.P.'s Dewas district". The Hindu. 23 November 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Ranjan (18 January 2018). "MP minister says Padmaavat's Ghoomar song should be banned, draws sharp criticism on Twitter". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "MP minister denies opposing playing of 'Ghoomar' song from Padmaavat". Hindustan Times. 18 January 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Padmaavat: Did you notice Deepika Padukone's covered midriff in the Ghoomar song?". Times Now. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Padmaavat: Deepika's midriff covered with CGI in new version of Ghoomar but Karni Sena continues protest". Firstpost. 19 January 2018. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Winners of the 64th Vimal Filmfare Awards 2019". Filmfare. 24 March 2019.
- "India Today". Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "11th Mirchi Music Awards Nominations".
- "Winners of Star Screen Awards 2019". Times Now. 17 December 2018. Retrieved 12 March 2019.