|Created by||Zak Bagans|
|No. of seasons||18|
|No. of episodes||210 (plus the 43 specials not included in list) (list of episodes)|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||MY Tupelo Entertainment|
HDTV 720p, 1080i
|Original release||October 17, 2008 –|
Ghost Adventures is an American television series about the paranormal that premiered on October 17, 2008, on the Travel Channel. Produced by MY-Tupelo Entertainment (a merger of MY Entertainment and Tupelo-Honey Productions), the program follows ghost hunters Zak Bagans, Nick Groff (until season 10), and Aaron Goodwin as they investigate locations that are reported to be haunted. The show is introduced and narrated by Zak Bagans.
- 1 Origins
- 2 Summary
- 3 Cast and crew
- 4 Guests and experts
- 5 Series overview
- 6 Reception
- 7 Spin-off series
- 8 Broadcast
- 9 See also
- 10 Footnotes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Ghost Adventures began as an independent film, produced in a documentary style. It was filmed in 2004 and produced by 4Reel Productions in 2006. The Syfy Channel premiered 4Reel's Ghost Adventures on July 25, 2007. The documentary centered on the trio's investigation of alleged paranormal activity in and around Virginia City, Nevada. The crew returned there during the series' fifth season. The film also featured the Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield, Nevada, to which the crew later returned during the series' fourth and seventh seasons and caught more substantial evidence. The documentary was released on DVD by Echo Bridge Home Entertainment on October 5, 2010.
Zak Bagans, Nick Groff (seasons 1–10), Aaron Goodwin, Billy Tolley, and Jay Wasley investigate reportedly haunted locations, hoping to collect visual or auditory evidence of paranormal activity. Each episode begins with the crew touring the investigation site with its owners or caretakers. These introductions typically include Bagans's voice-overs of the site's history as well as interviews with people who claim to have witnessed paranormal phenomena there. On the basis of these interviews, the crew place X's with black or gray tape at the sites of some serious alleged paranormal activity. They later return to these spots in order to set up static night-vision cameras to try and film it happening.
After completing the walk-through they discuss their strategy, then are locked in the location overnight, which they believe will prevent "audio contamination" and extraneous shadows. They use a variety of equipment, including digital thermometers, electromagnetic field (EMF) meters, handheld digital video cameras, audio recorders, the Ovilus device, point of view cameras, and infrared night-vision cameras in an effort to capture evidence of ghosts. The members sometimes place objects and shout verbal taunts they believe ghosts might move or respond to.
At the end of the episode they analyze their audio, photographs, and video footage, often with the assistance of alleged paranormal experts, and present anything they feel is "unexplained phenomena" to the audience.
During the series the crew claims to have captured and experienced various Fortean phenomena, which they say include simultaneous equipment malfunctions such as battery drain, voltage spikes, fluctuations in electromagnetic fields, sudden changes in temperature (such as cold spots), unexplained noises, electronic voice phenomena (EVP), and apparitions.
The crew also claim to have recorded spirit possessions on video. Bagans believes that he was possessed at the Preston School of Industry and at Poveglia Island in Italy. Groff claims that he was overtaken by a "dark energy" at the Moon River Brewing Company. Goodwin claims he was "under the influence of a dark spirit" at Bobby Mackey's Music World and Winchester Mystery House. Goodwin later states in his blog that he determined that the spirit from Bobby Mackey's was actually more of a spirit guide than a dark spirit who guides him in his life.
Cast and crew
The permanent members of the cast and crew are Zak Bagans and Aaron Goodwin.
Before joining Bagans and Groff, Goodwin had worked as a camera operator for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and several behind-the-scenes film premieres in Las Vegas. Goodwin says that prior to his experiences in Virginia City, Nevada, he "never really thought twice about ghosts." Goodwin is often left alone in the alleged "hotspots" during lockdowns to see how the spirits will react to Goodwin being alone.
Goodwin sells a line of clothing bearing the label "Big Steppin".
Having a solid background in audio editing and production software, Tolley was first intrigued by the paranormal after learning about electronic voice phenomena (EVP). With several years of experience in music and audio production, his curiosity led him to investigate and capture EVPs for himself.
Tolley's fascination with the paranormal field grew stronger, and in 2006, he founded a paranormal group with some friends – the Las Vegas Paranormal Investigations of Mysterious Phenomena Squad (LV PIMPS). He started sharing details of his audio captures with Zak Bagans and joined the Ghost Adventures series as one of the paranormal investigation team's audio/visual technicians and EVP analysts.
Wasley started his film-making career in Philadelphia, PA. as a director of photography and audio engineer. Since 2002, he has worked on dozens of feature films, documentaries, television shows, national commercials and music videos.
Wasley joined Ghost Adventures in season 4 as the paranormal investigation team's sound mixer, and has since evolved into one of the show's audio/visual technicians and cinematographers. Throughout the series, Wasley travels with the team to domestic and international locations rumored to be haunted in search of evidence proving the existence of the supernatural.
Nicholas Groff (born April 19, 1980) was a co-investigator and executive producer of Ghost Adventures, as well as an editor and cameraman for the show from seasons 1-10. Groff was an executive producer for a show on the Travel Channel called Vegas Stripped, a behind-the-scenes look at the operations of the South Point Hotel, Casino & Spa in Las Vegas, Nevada. Born in San Jose, California, Groff grew up in New England. He graduated from Pelham High School in New Hampshire and later studied film at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, where he met Aaron Goodwin. At the age of eight he fell out of a tree in the yard of his family's home in Salem, New Hampshire, which Groff described as "a near-death experience".
Two years later, while at home alone, Groff saw what he claims to have been a ghostly black figure. In a 2012 interview, Groff questioned, "Was it my imagination? Or was it something from my accident that made me more open to that world?"
Groff befriended Bagans during his wedding in Las Vegas. Groff claims he was possessed by an entity at the Moon River Brewing Company in Savannah, Georgia and says it was one of his "most life-changing experiences". According to Groff, an encounter with a female spirit at the Linda Vista Community Hospital in East Los Angeles, California gave him insights into life after death. Groff was allegedly possessed in Natchez, Mississippi during the investigation of King's Tavern.
On November 24, 2014, Groff announced that he would not be returning to Ghost Adventures for the upcoming season. Groff has since produced his own series titled Ghost Stalkers, and is currently starring in another show of his Paranormal Lockdown, where he is the lead investigator. Groff released an album titled The Other Side. The lyrics recall Groff's spiritual journey. He also has a clothing line named "Phantom Collection". Groff and his wife Veronique reside in Massachusetts with their two daughters.
Guests and experts
The following people have regularly appeared in the show as part of the GAC:
- Bill Chappell – Engineer, Inventor, Owner of Digital Dowsing: recurring
- Mark and Debby Constantino – former Electronic voice phenomenon [EVP] experts and analysts. They were killed in a murder-suicide domestic violence incident in Reno, Nevada. Debby’s voice was captured on an EVP during the final investigation of the Old Washoe Club in Virginia City, Nevada.
Ghost Adventures has involved celebrities who have participated in the investigations or appeared in the episodes as eyewitnesses:
- The Real Hollywood Ghost Hunters – Paranormal Investigating Group: "Pico House" episode, including Kane Hodder, R. A. Mihailoff, and Rick McCallum.
- Brendan Schaub – UFC Fighter: "Peabody-Whitehead Mansion" episode.
- Chad Lindberg – Actor: "Return to Linda Vista Hospital" episode. Chad allegedly received three scratch marks on his back similar to Zak at Bobby Mackey's and Aaron at Preston Castle.
- Vince Neil – Frontman of Mötley Crüe: "The Riviera Hotel" episode.
- Jamie Gold – Professional Poker player: "The Riviera Hotel" episode.
- Loretta Lynn – Country singer-songwriter: "Loretta Lynn's Plantation House" episode.
- Brit Morgan – Actress: "Glen Tavern Inn" episode
- Mimi Page – Musician: "Glen Tavern Inn" episode.
- Post Malone – Singer/Rapper: "The Slaughter House" episode.
- Ciaran O'Keeffe - Parapsychologist [Former Most Haunted crew member]: "Hellfire Caves" episode.
|First aired||Last aired|
|Specials||43||October 17, 2008||N/A|
|1||8||October 17, 2008||December 5, 2008|
|2||8||June 5, 2009||July 24, 2009|
|3||10||November 6, 2009||January 8, 2010|
|4||27||September 17, 2010||June 10, 2011|
|5||10||September 23, 2011||December 16, 2011|
|6||7||March 9, 2012||April 27, 2012|
|7||18||September 14, 2012||April 19, 2013|
|8||11||August 16, 2013||November 15, 2013|
|9||13||February 15, 2014||July 12, 2014|
|10||11||October 4, 2014||March 7, 2015|
|11||11||August 22, 2015||November 7, 2015|
|12||13||January 30, 2016||August 6, 2016|
|13||13||September 24, 2016||January 14, 2017|
|14||11||March 25, 2017||July 15, 2017|
|15||11||September 23, 2017||January 13, 2018|
|16||9||March 24, 2018||July 14, 2018|
|17||6||November 3, 2018||December 8, 2018|
|18||13||February 23, 2019||July 20, 2019|
The 2004 documentary film Ghost Adventures received several awards, including the 2006 Grand Jury Prize for Best Documentary at the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival (NYIIFVF). Seasons 1 and 2 were released on DVD on August 18, 2009.
In 2009, the series won three International Paranormal Acknowledgement (IPA) Awards.
In 2010, the program won two Spooktalkular Parawards.
In the Halloween special titled Ghost Adventures Live, which was broadcast from the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum on October 30, 2009, controversy arose when Robert Bess, inventor of the Parabot Containment Chamber (said to attract and empower spirits using energy, giving them form), claims to have had an EMF meter knocked violently out of his hands. However, upon investigation of the video, it was found that he had actually thrown it. In the November 6, 2009 follow-up Ghost Adventures Live: Post Mortem, hosts Bagans and Groff reviewed the video and concluded that they couldn't claim any paranormal explanation for the incident.
Paranormal Challenge is a competitive paranormal reality show that premiered on June 17, 2011, on the Travel Channel, with one season aired to date. The show is hosted by Zak Bagans, who challenges ghost hunters from around the United States to go head-to-head in a weekly competition to gather paranormal evidence by spending a night in reportedly haunted locations in the United States.
Ghost Adventures: Aftershocks
Ghost Adventures: Aftershocks is a series that premiered on Saturday April 26, 2014, on the Travel Channel. There were 13 episodes announced for the first season and second season. Zak Bagans interviews former Ghost Adventures interviewees, to find out how their lives have changed, since those GAC "lockdowns"/investigations from the past. Any new audio and/or video evidence that wasn't shown before, in previous Ghost Adventures episodes, are also revealed.
Deadly Possessions is a series that premiered on April 2, 2016, on the Travel Channel. The series aired one season and features Zak Bagans as he gathers artifacts for his new museum in Las Vegas, Nevada. The show reveals the dark history of the items, as well as associated paranormal claims.
Ghost Adventures: Serial Killer Spirits
Ghost Adventures: Serial Killer Spirits is a miniseries that will premiere on October 5, 2019 on the Travel Channel.
Ghost Adventures is currently on air at the following countries and channels:
- Australia on A&E Australia, Foxtel Go
- Canada on Travel + Escape and DTour
- United Kingdom on Really
- Italy on AXN Sci Fi and DMAX
- Poland on FOKUS TV
- France on Planète+ A&E
- Spain on Mega
- Germany on A&E Germany
- Netherlands on Spike
- Belgium on Spike
- Czech Republic on Prima ZOOM
- United States on Travel Channel
- Philippines on Travel Channel - Sky Cable and Cignal PH
- South Africa on Travel Channel - DStv
- Thailand on TrueVisions
- Weisman, Jon (March 24, 2010). "MY-Tupelo scores orders". Variety. Penske Media Corporation.
- "Old Washoe Club & Chollar Mine". Ghost Adventures. Season 3. Episode 6. December 4, 2009. Travel Channel.
- "Ghost Adventures: The Original Documentary". Retrieved October 23, 2014.
- Eric Olsen (2011-10-03). "Stalking Spirits with Ghost Adventures' Aaron Goodwin". The Morton Report.
- "Blog - Aaron Goodwin Collections".
- White, Bryan (June 13, 2008). "Interview with Ghost Adventures' Zak Bagans!". Cinema Suicide Entertainment.
- Olsen, Eric (January 8, 2010). "Interview with Ghost Adventures' Zak Bagans". Blogcritics Video. Eric Olsen. Retrieved 9 February 2010.
- Lawrence, Christopher (October 10, 2010). "Life on the Couch: Paranormal encounters spook 'Ghost Adventures' trio". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Stephens Media.
- Moye, David (July 26, 2010). "Haunted Hotel Spooks 'Ghost Adventures' Stars". AOL News. AOL. Archived from the original on September 2, 2018.
- Harris, Franklin (January 28, 2010). "Be a paranormal investigator". TimesDaily and the Decatur Daily. Alabama: Tennessee Valley Printing Co. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Big Steppin". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- Travel Channel. "Meet the Ghost Adventures Crew". Retrieved 2 November 2016.
- Copley, Rich (September 27, 2012). "Scarefest 2012: 'Ghost Adventures' host fell into his career". Lexington Herald-Leader. The McClatchy Company.
- Meighan, Patrick (October 17, 2010). "Former Nashuan has successful TV series hunting ghosts". Nashua Telegraph. Nashua, New Hampshire: Telegraph Publishing Company. Retrieved 17 October 2010.
- "Ghostly encounters from Moon River". Travel Channel. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- "Nick Groff tells 'Ghost Adventures' fans he is leaving the show". December 1, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2015.
- BG (2012). "Nick Groff". Bryan's World – My Life and the GAC. Bryan's World – My Life and the GAC. Archived from the original on 16 March 2012. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "Ghost-hunting couple and housemate were all shot in the head: Police". 2015-09-26.
- "Los Angeles 2006 Awards: Grand Jury Prize". New York International Independent Film and Video Festival. September 2006.
- "Ghost Adventures Crew: GAC in the Media". Ghost Adventures Crew. Archived from the original on January 3, 2010.
- "Winners for the IPAA Awards 2009". International Paranormal Acknowledgment Awards 2009. December 28, 2009.
- "Parawards". Spooktalkular. March 5, 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-10-19.
- WarriorLeonardo (6 November 2009). "Ghost Adventures- Cowboy Bob debunked". YouTube. Retrieved 7 June 2012.
- "About the Show Paranormal Challenge". Travel Channel. Archived from the original on October 27, 2011.
- "Ghost Adventures Aftershocks Home Page". Archived from the original on 2014-05-23. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Zak Bagans' New Book I Am Haunted Scaring Up Your Shelf Soon!". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Zak Bagans' 'Deadly Possessions'". Travel Channel. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- ""Ghost Adventures" Announces Four-Part Miniseries and Halloween Special". The Futon Critic. July 22, 2019.
- With Foxtel having their own online catchup service called Foxtel GO
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Ghost Adventures|
- Official website of Ghost Adventures
- Official website of Ghost Adventures Live
- Official website of the Ghost Adventures Crew (GAC)
- The Paranormal Society (officially authorized online content provider)
- Ghost Adventures on IMDb
- Ghost Adventures at TV.com
- Official website of The Ghost Hosts Experience
- Ghost Adventures at TheTVDB
- on ' channelYouTube