Ghulam Mustafa Khan (singer)
|Ghulam Mustafa Khan|
Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan (right) with Narendra Modi
|Born||March 3, 1931|
|Origin||Badayun, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music|
Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan (born March 3, 1931) is an Indian classical musician in the Hindustani classical music tradition. He belongs to the Rampur-Sahaswan Gharana and he is the son of Waris Hussain Khan and grandson of Inayat Hussain Khan of Sahaswan Gharana. He has been associated with Hindi film industry and as a teacher he has trained several noted playback and classical singers.
He was awarded the Padma Shri in 1991, followed by Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award of India in 2006. In 2003 he was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award highest Indian recognition given to practicing artists given by Sangeet Natak Akademi, India's National Academy for Music, Dance and Drama.
He is married to Amina Begum who is grand daughter of Mushtaq Hussain Khan. They have four sons who are Murtaza Khan, Qadir Mustafa, Rabbani Khan, Hasan Khan. Murtaza Khan and Qadir Khan are well known classical vocalists and singers of Hindi Film Industry who have worked with the legendary music director A. R. Rahman Amit Trivedi and others. He is also the uncle of Sufi singer Ateeq Hussain Khan and guru uncle of classical vocalist Rashid Khan.
He currently lives in Mumbai, Maharashtra along with his family.
Some of his students are singers in the field of Indian playback singing: Asha Bhosle, Geeta Dutt, Hariharan, Shaan, Sonu Nigam Sagarika; sons: Murtuza, Qadir, Rabbani, Hasan; grandsons: Aamir and Faiz etc.Murtuza's son Faiz was the youngest singer of coke studio he was part of Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan's 3 generation performance with A.R.Rahman at coke studio season 3 for MTV India. Well known Shilpa Rao,Kalpana Patowary, A.R. Rahman, Alisha Chinnoy, Ankita Dixit, Amitabh Narayan Ruchi Sharma (singer), etc.
He has been involved as playback singer and music director of award winning feature films like :
- Bhuwan Shome
- Badnam Basti
- Umrao Jaan (1981)
- Chhand Pretticha (Marathi)
- Drut (Bengali)
- Aagman (Music Director also)
- Shreeman Aashiq
Awards and achievements
- Padma Shri(1991)
- Padma Bhushan (2006)
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (2003)
- He is among the few artists to perform at the conference held by Dr. Rajendra Prasad (Former President of India) in 1952.
- Named as Junior Tansen in 1969 by Haridas Sangeet Sabha, Mangalore.
- Ustad Haafiz Ali Khan award and Ustad Chand Khan award
- He performed at Baltimore University and was conferred an Honorary Citizenship of Baltimore City.
- Honorary Citizenship for outstanding contribution to the field of Indian Classical Music in 1986 (by Governor of Maryland)
- He performed at Golden Jubilee in the presence of the honorable Queen of United Kingdom
- He performed at Festival de Lille in the presence of Lady Diana in France
- "Rampur -Sahaswan Gharana". Sangeet Gram.
- "Padma Awards Directory (1954-2009)" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs.
- "SNA: List of Akademi Awardees". Sangeet Natak Akademi Official website.
- "Ustad Rashid Khan Uncle". The Hindu.
- Ghulam Mustafa Khan at the Internet Movie Database