Ghurar al-Hikam wa Durar al-Kalim
|Part of a series on|
The Ghurar al-Hikam wa Durar al-Kalim (Arabic: غرر الحکم و درر الکلم lit. "Exalted Aphorisms and Pearls of Speech") is the most comprehensive collection of short quotations and aphorisms by Ali ibn Abi Talib. It contains about 11,000 short sayings. This work has recently been translated into English.
Abdul Wahid Tamimi
Qadhi Nasih Al-Deen Abu al-Fath Abd al-Wahid Ibn Muhammad Al-Tamimi Al-Amudi was a scholar that was lived in the fifth or sixth centuries AH. There is disagreement between scholars that he was shia or sunni. Muhammad Baqir Majlisi, Mirza Abdollah, Mirza Husain Noori Tabarsi, and Ibn Shar Ashoob are mentioned him as a Shia scholar in their works. He was one of the students of Al-Ghazali and master of Ibn Shahr Ashoob.
Content of Book and its structure
Ghurar al-Hikam includes 10760 quotations and aphorisms of Ali ibn Abi Talib. these short sayings has been sorted alphabetically and divided into ninety one sections. These short sayings have been collected from various books such as Nahj al-Balagha, The hundred words of Al-Jahiz, Tuhaf al-Uqul and Dastur ma'alim al-Hikam of Ghazi Ghaza'i. However Nasir Makarem Shirazi says this book can not be used as a reference because Tamimi has omitted the references of its hadiths.
Translations and commentaries
- Ansari Qomi, Muhammad Ali. Introduction of Ghurar al-Hikam. 1. p. 28.
- Khawnsari, Armawi, Agha Jamal, Mohaddith. Introduction of Ghurar al-Hikam. 1.
- Majlisi, Muhammad Baqir. Bihar al-Anwar. 1. pp. 16–34.
- Afandi, Mirza Abdullah. Riyad al-'Ulama wa Hyad al-Fudala. 3. pp. 281–282.
- Muhaddith Noori, Mirza Husain. Khatimah al-Mustadrak. 3. pp. 91–96.
- Ibn Shahr Ashub Mazandarani, Rashid al-Din Muhammad ibn Ali. Ma’alim al-Ulama. p. 81.
- Tehrani, Agha Bozorg. Al-Zari'ah ila tasanif al-Shia. 5. p. 278.
- Makarim Shirazi, Nasir. Anwar al-fiqahah (Kitab al-Bay'). p. 465.