August 18, 1985
Wantagh, New York, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||255 lb (116 kg; 18 st 3 lb)|
|Division||Light heavyweight |
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Bellmore, New York, U.S.|
|Team||Bellmore Kickboxing Academy |
Long Island MMA and Fitness Center
Serra–Longo Fight Team
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Matt Serra|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable school(s)||MacArthur High School (Levittown, New York)|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Gianpiero Villante (born August 18, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist currently fighting in the heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional since 2009, he has competed for Strikeforce.
Villante attended MacArthur High School (Levittown, New York) and was part of the Class of 2003. During his junior year, he placed third in the New York State Wrestling Championships. He followed this up his senior year by winning the New York State Championship at the 215 pound weight class. Villante also earned all-American honors following a 5th-place finish in the 215 lbs weight class at the 2003 NHSCA senior national wrestling tournament. Villante was equally accomplished in football, in which he received the 2002 Thorpe Award winner as the top football player in Nassau County, also the Bill Piner Award as the top linebacker in Nassau County and was named to the High School Heisman All-Star team. Villante drew interest from major Division I schools, such as Penn State and Michigan State. Villante chose to stay home and committed to Hofstra University. Villante attended Hofstra University from 2003-2007 where he continued his highly successful football and wrestling careers. Villante started his first game against Marshall University, as a true freshman, at middle linebacker. Gian kept his starting role the rest of his freshman year. The following season Villante was named a 2004 1st Team Defensive I-AA All-American by The Sports Network. He was regarded as a potential NFL linebacker prospect. The New York Giants, New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, and Philadelphia Eagles all expressed interest in Villante. Villante wrestled for Hofstra where he became close with NCAA All-American wrestler and future UFC Middleweight Champion Chris Weidman.
Mixed martial arts career
Ring of Combat
Villante made his MMA debut quickly after making the decision to begin MMA training. He defeated MMA veteran Randy Durant by quickly drawing a TKO due to a nasty cut. Villante then flew through his next few opponents, only once having it last through the first round. He quickly was the top Heavyweight contender in Ring of Combat. He got his shot and after defeating Strikeforce veteran Mike Cook for the vacant Ring of Combat Heavyweight title, Villante was touted as a legit MMA prospect.
Villante made his Light Heavyweight debut at Ring of Combat XXIX with aspirations on becoming a champion in two weight classes. However Villante lost by TKO after breaking his elbow and moved back up to heavyweight. After an extended recovery from his wrist injury, Villante had a highlight reel KO win over Joseph Reyes.
On January 11, 2011, it was announced that Villante had signed a multi-fight deal with Strikeforce. Villante was quickly thrown into a Heavyweight Grand Prix Reserve bout on short notice. His opponent would be Chad Griggs in one of three heavyweight grand prix reserve bouts at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva. In which many people called the fight, the "Fight of the Night." He lost the fight via TKO in the first round on a referee stopage.
Villante made the decision to drop back down to light heavyweight. In his next bout, Villante would take on undefeated prospect Lorenz Larkin on June 24, 2011 at Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry. After repeatedly taking down Larkin and easily taking the first round, Villante appeared to be suffering from his dramatic weight cutting. Villante began to tire and eventually Larkin went on to win a unanimous decision. Questions began to swirl as to whether or not Villante could effectively complete a Three Round Fight. He was also criticized for not sticking to a wrestling game plan.
In his next fight, Villante took on Keith Berry in the Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Duarte preliminary card. Despite the crowd's jeers, and multiple stand ups, Gian continually took down Berry and went on to win the fight unanimously on the judges scorecards.
Villante's next fight was against Trevor Smith on the preliminary card of Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine on January 7, 2012. Gian quickly attacked Smith catching a leg strike four seconds in. After landing several clean punches and knees on the ground, both stood up. The two trade strikes for about thirty seconds, when Villante once again caught a Smith kick and took him down. Villante held onto the leg and began landing numerous unanswered right hands, prompting referee Kim Winslow to stop the fight at 1:05 of the first round.
Gian continued his win streak with a unanimous decision victory over Derrick Mehmen. This was part of the Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier undercard seen on Showtime Extreme. Gian was credited by announcer Frank Shamrock for his improved standup and his endurance during the fight. Mehmen had visible bruising on his thighs from the multiple leg kicks landed by Villante.
Gian was scheduled to fight undefeated Guto Inocente on the Strikeforce: Melendez vs. Healy main card. The entire card was canceled due to headliner Gilbert Melendez suffering an injury. Without the main event, Showtime canceled the entire event. Gian was featured in Newsday shortly after the announcement. The article featured Gian explaining how he was extremely upset about the cancellation, but focused more on how Gian was finally able to eat, after his grueling ordeal to make weight.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2013, the Strikeforce organization was closed by its parent company Zuffa. A list of fighters scheduled to be brought over to the Ultimate Fighting Championship was released in mid-January and Villante was one of the fighters listed.
For his UFC debut, Villante faced fellow promotional newcomer Ovince St. Preux on April 27, 2013 at UFC 159. The fight ended in unusual fashion as St. Preux accidentally poked Villante in the right eye with his thumb and referee Kevin Mulhall immediately called an end to the fight after Villante indicated that he could not see. As a result of the injury, the fight went to the judges' scorecards and St. Preux won a majority technical decision (30–28, 30–29, and 29–29).
Villante took a short notice bout, replacing Robert Drysdale against Cody Donovan on November 16, 2014 at UFC 167. He won the fight via TKO in the second round, earning his first official UFC victory.
Villante was expected to face Anthony Perosh on June 28, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 43. However, Perosh was forced out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by Sean O'Connell. He won the fight via split decision. Their performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
The bout with Anderson eventually took place on April 18, 2015 at UFC on Fox 15. Villante won the fight via TKO in the third round. The fight also earned him his second Fight of the Night bonus award.
Villante was briefly linked to a bout with Marcos Rogério de Lima on November 12, 2016 at UFC 205. However, Villante pulled out of the fight on September 21 citing a minor injury and the bout was scrapped. In turn, Villante is expected to face Patrick Cummins the following month on December 9, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 102. Subsequently, Cummins pulled out of the fight on December 2 citing a staph infection. He was replaced by promotional newcomer Saparbek Safarov. Villante won the fight via TKO in the second round. Both participants were awarded Fight of the Night for their performance.
Villante was expected to face Mike Rodriguez on July 13, 2019 at UFC Fight Night 155. However, on July 4, 2019 Villante pulled out of the event for an undisclosed reason and was replaced by John Allan.
Villante and his long-time girlfriend Katie have a son, Gianluca, who was born in December 2019.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Fight of the Night (Three times)
- Ring of Combat
- Ring of Combat Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- High school football
- 2001 All-Section VIII Linebacker
- 2001 All-Long Island Linebacker (Sect VIII&XI)
- 2002 All-Section VIII Linebacker
- 2002 All-Long Island Linebacker (Sect VIII&XI)
- 2002 Piner Award (Best Linebacker - Section VIII - Nassau County)
- 2002 Thorpe Award (Best Football Player - Section VIII - Nassau County)
- 2002 1st Team All-New York State
- 2002 1st All-Metro Team (Lower NY-Upper NJ)
- College football
- 2004 2nd Team Defensive All-Atlantic 10
- 2004 1st Team Defensive I-AA All-American
- 2006 1st Team Defensive All-Atlantic 10
- 2007 1st Team Defensive All-Colonial Conference
- High school wrestling
- 2002 Section VIII Nassau County Champion (215 lbs)
- 2002 New York State 3rd Place (215 lbs)
- 2003 Section VIII Nassau County Champion (215 lbs)
- 2003 New York State Champion (215 lbs)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|29 matches||17 wins||12 losses|
|Loss||17–12||Maurice Greene||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker||June 27, 2020||3||3:44||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Return to Heavyweight.|
|Loss||17–11||Michał Oleksiejczuk||TKO (body punch)||UFC Fight Night: Błachowicz vs. Santos||February 23, 2019||1||1:34||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Win||17–10||Ed Herman||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Volkan vs. Smith||October 27, 2018||3||5:00||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada|
|Loss||16–10||Sam Alvey||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Rivera vs. Moraes||June 1, 2018||3||5:00||Utica, New York, United States|
|Win||16–9||Francimar Barroso||Decision (split)||UFC 220||January 20, 2018||3||5:00||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Loss||15–9||Patrick Cummins||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Weidman vs. Gastelum||July 22, 2017||3||5:00||Uniondale, New York, United States|
|Loss||15–8||Maurício Rua||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Gastelum||March 11, 2017||3||0:59||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Win||15–7||Saparbek Safarov||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Abdurakhimov||December 9, 2016||2||2:54||Albany, New York, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||14–7||Ilir Latifi||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 196||March 5, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–6||Anthony Perosh||KO (punch)||UFC 193||November 15, 2015||1||2:56||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||13–6||Tom Lawlor||KO (punch)||UFC on Fox: Dillashaw vs. Barão 2||July 25, 2015||2||0:27||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||13–5||Corey Anderson||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold||April 18, 2015||3||4:18||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–5||Sean O'Connell||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Te-Huna vs. Marquardt||June 28, 2014||3||5:00||Auckland, New Zealand||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||11–5||Fábio Maldonado||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Henderson 2||March 23, 2014||3||5:00||Natal, Brazil|
|Win||11–4||Cody Donovan||TKO (punches)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||2||1:22||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–4||Ovince Saint Preux||Technical Decision (majority)||UFC 159||April 27, 2013||3||0:33||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Inadvertent eye poke rendered Villante unable to continue.|
|Win||10–3||Derrick Mehmen||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier||May 19, 2012||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Win||9–3||Trevor Smith||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine||January 7, 2012||1||1:05||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–3||Keith Berry||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Gurgel vs. Duarte||August 12, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||7–3||Lorenz Larkin||Decision (unanimous)||Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry||June 24, 2011||3||5:00||Kent, Washington, United States|
|Loss||7–2||Chad Griggs||TKO (punches)||Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva||February 12, 2011||1||2:49||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States||Heavyweight Grand Prix reserve bout.|
|Win||7–1||Joseph Reyes||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 33||December 3, 2010||1||1:03||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the vacant Ring of Combat Light Heavyweight Championship.|
|Loss||6–1||Demetrius Richards||TKO (arm injury)||Ring of Combat 29||April 16, 2010||1||3:27||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Light Heavyweight debut.|
|Win||6–0||Mike Cook||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ring of Combat 28||February 19, 2010||1||1:36||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the vacant Ring of Combat Heavyweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Marcelo Pereira||KO (punch)||Ring of Combat 27||November 20, 2009||1||3:59||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Catchweight (215 lbs) bout.|
|Win||4–0||Rob Wince||KO (head kick)||Ring of Combat 26||September 11, 2009||2||1:25||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0||Joe Abouata||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 25||June 12, 2009||1||1:48||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–0||Paul White||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ring of Combat 24||April 17, 2009||1||1:46||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||Randy Durant||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Ring of Combat 23||February 20, 2009||1||0:35||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Doctor stoppage due to cut.|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dillashaw vs. Barao 2". UFC.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Our Fighters". http://www.bellmorekickboxingacademy.com. Archived from the original on June 1, 2015. Retrieved April 19, 2015. External link in
- Andrew Pearson (July 22, 2017). "UFC on FOX 25 results: Gian Villante brutalizes Patrick Cummins' face, loses split decision". mmamania.com.
- Leland Roling (January 17, 2011). "World MMA Light Heavyweight Scouting Report: #2 - Gian Villante". Bloody Elbow.
- "Hofstra Student-Athlete Biography Page". Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- "Senior All Americans - National High School Coaches Association". nhsca.com. Retrieved 2018-04-19.
- "Hofstra Student-Athlete Biography Page". Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- La Monica, Mark" (2010-02-08). "Gettin' to know Gian Villante". newsday.com. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- "The Sports Network I-AA All-America List". Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2019-12-28.
- "Gian Villante NFL Draft Prospect Page". Archived from the original on 2015-11-25. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- La Monica, Mark" (2010-03-10). "LI's Gian Villante seeks a second title". newsday.com. Retrieved 2010-03-15.
- Strikeforce Signs Villante, Announces Heavyweight Reserve Bouts
- "Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Jardine". strikeforce.com. 2011-12-08. Archived from the original on 2012-01-03.
- "UFC Reveals List of Strikeforce Fighters Making Jump to Octagon". sherdog.com. January 16, 2013.
- "Ovince St. Preux meets Gian Villante in battle of Strikeforce vets at UFC 159". mmajunkie.com. February 8, 2013.
- "Ovince St. Preux pokes Gian Villante's eye, awarded win". mmajunkie.com. April 27, 2013.
- Staff. "Gian Villante replaces Robert Drysdale, meets Cody Donovan at UFC 167". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- MARK LA MONICA. "Gian Villante added to UFC 167 against Cody Donovan". newsday.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Mookie Alexander. "Fabio Maldonado says he's fighting Gian Villante at March UFC event in Brazil". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-01-12.
- Jason Floyd (2014-04-24). "UFC Fight Night 43 in New Zealand adds Perosh-Villante". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Staff (2014-05-13). "Anthony Perosh out at UFC Fight Night 43, Gian Villante now meets Sean O'Connell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-13.
- Matt Erickson (2014-06-28). "UFC Fight Night 43 results: Gian Villante takes split call from Sean O'Connell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Matt Erickson (2014-06-28). "UFC Fight Night 43 bonuses: Marquardt, Oliveira, Villante, O'Connell nab $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-28.
- Staff (2014-09-16). "'TUF 19' winner Corey Anderson meets Gian Villante at UFC 181". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-16.
- Staff (2014-11-13). "Gian Villante out at UFC 181, promotion seeks replacement for Corey Anderson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-11-13.
- Staff (2015-01-27). "Corey Anderson meets Gian Villante at UFC on FOX 15 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- Karim Kidan (2015-04-18). "UFC on FOX 15 bonuses: Rockhold pockets $50,000 for submission win against Machida". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- Thomasi Gerbasi (2015-05-01). "Lawlor returns against Villante in July". UFC.com. Retrieved 2015-05-01.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-07-25). "UFC on FOX 16 results: Tom Lawlor drops Gian Villante with devastating right hand". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Emma Shallands (20 August 2015). "Etihad Stadium official for UFC 193, a host of Australian fighters announced for lineup". fightnewsaustralia.com. Retrieved 20 August 2015.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-11-14). "UFC 193 results: Gian Villante scores quick knockout of Anthony Perosh". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-14.
- Dann Stupp (2016-01-29). "With 48-day turnaround, Ilir Latifi meets Gian Villante at UFC 196 in Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-03-05). "UFC 196 results: Ilir Latifi grinds out decision over Gian Villante". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-09-08). "Gian Villante vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima added to UFC 205". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-08.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-09-21). "Gian Villante vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima off UFC 205". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- Ariel Helwani (2016-09-29). "Gian Villante vs. Patrick Cummins targeted for UFC Fight Night: Albany". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- Guilherme Cruz (2016-12-02). "Patrick Cummins out of UFC Fight Night 102 card with staph infection". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- Staff (2016-12-02). "Saparbek Safarov set as injury replacement at UFC Fight Night 102 in Albany". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-12-09). "UFC Fight Night 102 results: Gian Villante tops Saparbek Safarov in back-and-forth brawl". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Mike Sloan (2016-12-09). "UFC Fight Night 102 bonuses: Villante, Safarov, Ngannou, Meerschaert all pocket $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- Ariel Helwani (2017-01-05). "'Shogun' Rua vs. Gian Villante in the works for UFC Fight Night: Fortaleza". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-03-11). "UFC Fight Night 106 results: 'Shogun' Rua TKOs Gian Villante for first 3-fight streak in 10 years". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-11.
- Mark La Monica (2017-04-19). "Gian Villante to face Patrick Cummins in first UFC event at Nassau Coliseum". newsday.com. Retrieved 2017-04-19.
- "UFC on FOX 25 results: Bloodied Patrick Cummins earns brutal split decision over Gian Villante". MMAjunkie. 2017-07-23. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "Villante looks to end losing streak at UFC 220". Newsday. Retrieved 2018-01-21.
- Mark La Monica (2017-11-15). "Gian Villante looks to end losing streak vs. Francimar Barroso at UFC 220". newsday.com. Retrieved 2017-11-15.
- Mark La Monica (2018-03-13). "Gian Villante-Sam Alvey set for UFC Fight Night in Utica". newsday.com. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "UFC Fight Night 131 results: Sam Alvey takes split call from Gian Villante". MMAjunkie. 2018-06-02. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- Aaron Bronsteter (2018-08-07). "Canadian Cirkunov to fight at UFC Fight Night in Moncton". tsn.ca.com. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "UFC Moncton results: Gian Villante edges Ed Herman via split decision". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- Dorff, Marcel (2019-01-20). "New Yorker Gian Villante meets Michal Oleksiejczuk at UFC Prague". mmadna.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 2019-01-21.
- "UFC Prague results: Michal Oleksiejczuk body shot fells Gian Villante". MMAjunkie. 2019-02-23. Retrieved 2019-02-25.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-05-21). ""East Coast treat" between Gian Villante and Mike Rodriguez during UFC Sacramento" (in Dutch). mmadnanl.com. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- "Gian Villante out of UFC on ESPN+ 13; Mike Rodriguez now faces John Allan". MMA Junkie. 2019-07-04. Retrieved 2019-07-05.
- DNA, MMA. "Maurice Greene treft Gian Villante tijdens UFC evenement op 27 juni aanstaande". Retrieved 2020-05-24.
- Fuentes, Jon (2020-06-27). "UFC on ESPN 12 Results: Maurice Greene Tops Gian Villante With Stunning Submission". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-06-28.
- Gian Villante's instagram post
- Sherdog.com. "Gian Villante MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-10-28.