Gianandrea Noseda (born 23 April 1964) is an Italian conductor. He studied piano, composition and conducting in Milan. He furthered his conducting studies with Donato Renzetti, Myung-Whun Chung and Valery Gergiev.
In 1994, Noseda won the Cadaqués Orchestra International Conducting Competition and became principal conductor of the Cadaqués Orchestra in the same year. He became principal guest conductor at the Mariinsky Theatre in St Petersburg in 1997. He has also served as principal guest conductor of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra and artistic director of the Settimane Musicali di Stresa e del Lago Maggiore Festival in Italy. In 2001, he became artistic director of the Stresa Festival in Italy. In 2007, Noseda became Music Director of the Teatro Regio di Torino.
In December 2001, Noseda was named Principal Conductor of the BBC Philharmonic, and assumed the post in September 2002. In July 2003, Noseda extended his contract with the orchestra to 2008. He and the BBC Philharmonic participated in a 2005 BBC Radio 3 project which made live performances in Manchester of the nine symphonies of Beethoven available for download. In October 2006, Noseda extended his contract for another two years and his title was changed to Chief Conductor. He concluded his BBC Philharmonic tenure after the 2010-2011 season and now has the title of conductor laureate. Gianandrea Noseda is also principal guest conductor of the Israel Philharmonic since May 2011.
In January 2016, Noseda was appointed music director of the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington, D.C. The appointment will take effect in the 2017-18 season. In February, 2016, he was also appointed one of the two "principal guest conductors" of the London Symphony Orchestra ; that appointment will begin a year before the NSO post, in the 2016-17 season, and he plans to serve in both positions simultaneously.
Noseda has conducted several recordings with the BBC Philharmonic for the Chandos label, of Prokofiev, Dallapiccola (including the world premiere recording of Dallapiccola's Partita), Dvořák, Liszt, Karłowicz, Casella, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff, and Respighi.
Noseda holds the honour of Cavaliere Ufficiale al Merito della Repubblica Italiana, for his contributions to the artistic life of Italy.
- Vivien Schweitzer (5 October 2006). "BBC Philharmonic Extends Gianandrea Noseda's Contract as Chief Conductor to 2010". Playbill Arts. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- David Ward (2001-12-20). "Italian maestro to conduct BBC Philharmonic". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- David Ward (2003-07-23). "BBC conductor signs up until 2008". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Tim Ashley (2005-06-01). "BBC Philharmonic/ Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Tim Ashley (2005-06-22). "BBCPO / Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- David Ward (2005-06-13). "Beethoven joins iPod generation". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Charlotte Higgins (2005-06-21). "Beethoven (1.4m) beats Bono (20,000) in battle of the internet downloads". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- David Ward (2006-10-11). "Noseda becomes chief conductor of BBC Philharmonic". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- "Juanjo Mena set to succeed Gianandrea Noseda in 2011" (Press release). BBC Philharmonic. 5 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Anne Midgette (2016-01-04). "National Symphony Orchestra names rising star Gianandrea Noseda as music director". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-01-04.
- Anne Midgette, "Incoming NSO music director Noseda gets new assignment," Washington Post, Feb. 24, 2106, URL=https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/style/wp/2016/02/24/noseda-gets-new-assignment/?postshare=2201456320937644&tid=ss_fb
- Edward Greenfield (2003-06-13). "Prokofiev: The Stone Flower: BBC Philharmonic/ Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Andrew Clements (2004-10-29). "Dallapiccola: Tartiniana; Due Pezzi; Variations for Orchestra; Piccola Musica Notturna; Symphonic Fragment from Marsia, Ehnes/ BBC Philharmonic/Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Andrew Clements (2005-07-01). "Dvorak: Piano Concerto; Violin Concerto, Hayroudinoff/ Ehnes/ BBC Philharmonic/ Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Tim Ashley (2005-10-07). "Liszt: Ce qu'on Entend sur la Montagne; Tasso; Les Préludes; Orpheus BBC Philharmonic/ Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Tim Ashley (2005-12-02). "Karlowicz: Returning Waves; A Sorrowful Tale; Episode at a Masquerade, BBC Philharmonic/ Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Tim Ashley (2006-02-10). "Shostakovich: Suite on Words of Michelangelo; Six Romances, etc, Abdrazakov/ BBCPO/Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- The Isle of the Dead; "Youth Symphony" 1891 in D minor; Symphony no. 1 in D minor. BBC Philharmonic/Gianandrea Noseda. Recorded 20-31 January 2008.
- Edward Greenfield (2003-08-01). "Respighi: La Boutique Fantasque, etc: BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/ Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Tim Ashley (2006-12-08). "Respighi: Preludio, Corale e Fuga, Burlesca, Rossiniana etc, BBC Philharmonic/Noseda". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-09.
- Official Website of Gianandrea Noseda
- Teatro Regio Torino website
- Stresa Festival website
- Home Page with the BBC Philharmonic
- About the Beethoven Project
Yan Pascal Tortelier
|Chief Conductor, BBC Philharmonic