This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||University of Twente|
|Known for||Conceptual Modeling, Ontology, OntoUML|
|Institutions||Free University of Bolzano-Bozen|
Ontology & Conceptual Modeling Research Group
Giancarlo Guizzardi (born 1975 in Vitoria, Brazil) is a Brazilian–Italian computer scientist specializing in conceptual modeling, enterprise modeling, applied ontology and ontology-driven information systems.[jargon] He is a professor in the computer science department of the Free University of Bolzano-Bozen in Italy and a senior researcher and founding member of the Ontology & Conceptual Modeling Research Group (NEMO) in Vitoria, Brazil.
He is known for his approach towards Conceptual Modeling, which advocates that, if Conceptual Modeling is about representing conceptualizations of reality to support human understanding communication and problem-solving, it must rely on foundations that take formal ontology in philosophy, cognitive science and linguistic seriously.
He has been, for the past two decades, an active promoter of the so-called field of “Ontology-Driven Conceptual Modeling”, in general, and of the role of philosophy for Information Systems Engineering, in particular. He frequently gives keynote addresses as well as interviews on these topics.
He defended his PhD thesis in 2005 in the University of Twente. His thesis, entitled Ontological Foundations for Structural Conceptual Models, lays the foundation of what came to be known as the Unified Foundational Ontology and the OntoUML language.
He has an active history of collaboration with Nicola Guarino. In fact, an initial fragment of OntoUML was considered to be an evolution of the OntoClean methodology, the first methodology for ontological analysis in computer science, proposed by Guarino and Chris Welty.
- "Ontology and Conceptual Modeling Research Group (NEMO)".
- Guizzardi, Giancarlo (2005). Ontological Foundations for Structural Conceptual Models (Thesis).
- "Formal Ontology, Patterns and Anti-Patterns for Next-Generation Conceptual Modeling". 7th International Joint Conference on Knowledge Discovery, Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management (IC3K 2015). 12 November 2015.
- "Formal Ontology, Patterns and Anti-Patterns for Next-Generation Conceptual Modeling". NoMagic World Symposium 2016.
- ""Carving Reality at its Digital Joints: The Role of Ontology-Driven Conceptual Modeling in Next-Generation Information Systems Engineering"". 13th International Federated Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems (FedCSIS 2017). 14 January 2018.
- "Conceptual Models as Ontological Contracts". 8th International Conference on Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development. 27 February 2020.
- "Connecting computer science to philosophy". Academia. 18 December 2017.
- "On the Importance of Ontology and Conceptual Modeling". No Magic World Symposium 2016. 8 October 2016.
- "Interview with Prof. Giancarlo Guizzardi". TI - Polskie Towarzystwo Informatyczne.
- "Contro il Covid-19 anche gli specialisti dell'informatica". L'Adige. 8 April 2020.
- ""Combattiamo il virus con i dati"". Salto.BZ. 13 April 2020.
- "Decifrando dados". Comunità Italiana. 21 July 2020.
- Guarino, Nicola; Welty, Christopher (February 2002). "Evaluating Ontological Decisions with OntoClean". Commun. ACM. 45 (2): 61–65. doi:10.1145/503124.503150.