This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gianfranco Frattini (May 15, 1926 – April 6, 2004) was an Italian architect and designer. He is a member of the generation that created the Italian design movement in the late 1950s through the 1960s.
Early life and education
Frattini opened his own professional practice in Milan, after having worked in the office of his teacher and mentor Giò Ponti. Frattini became an industrial designer by default when he lacked appropriate lighting and furniture for his interiors. His collaboration with Cesare Cassina for his namesake company started in 1954, followed by collaborations with many other manufacturers, such as Bernini, Arteluce, Acerbis, Fantoni, Artemide (for whom among others pieces with Livio Castiglioni he designed the historic Boalum lamp), Luci, Knoll, Lema and many others. In 1956 he co-founded Associazione per il Disegno Industriale and throughout his career he practiced both industrial design and architecture, focusing mostly on interiors. He was a board member of the Triennale. Great connoisseur of wood craftsmanship, he forged a long and fruitful professional partnership with the master craftsman from Bovisio Masciago (Milan), Pierluigi Ghianda. Glassware designed by Gianfranco Frattini for Progetti is in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art and the Boalum lamp (with Livio Castiglioni) produced by Artemide is in the collection of the Smithsonian, Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.
Death and afterward
Gianfranco Frattini died in Milan, Italy on April 6, 2004.
Awards and honors
- "Gianfranco Frattini profile on Cassina Official Site". Retrieved March 28, 2011.
- "Gianfranco Frattini profile on Knoll official site". Retrieved March 28, 2011.
- "Boalum Lamp on Architonic". Retrieved March 28, 2011.
- "Bottega Ghianda". www.bottegaghianda.com. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Gianfranco Frattini | MoMA". The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- "Boalum Lamp, ca. 1969". Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Gramigna, Giuliana; Monetti, Federica (2007-01-01). Gianfranco Frattini: architetto d'interni e designer (in Italian). FrancoAngeli. ISBN 9788846486394.
- "Gianfranco Frattini", Italian Design, a cura di Pier Carlo Santini, Edizioni Biblioteca dell'Immagine, Pordenone Italy 1988; "Gianfranco Frattini, Architetto d'Interni e Designer" by Giuliana Gramigna and Federica Monetti, Franco Angeli Editore, Milano Italy 2007