Nani organised football tournaments in Spain before working as Brescia Calcio's sporting director commencing in 1999. During this time he was credited with developing talents such as World Cup winners Andrea Pirlo and Luca Toni. He was also involved in the arrival of 1993 World Player of the Year Roberto Baggio, who spent four years at the club.
On 17 March 2008 it was announced that he would take up this role for English Premier League team West Ham United. He joined the club in June 2008 having signed a three-year contract, and had responsibility for the academy, scouting, transfers (with team manager Gianfranco Zola) and for the training ground department. In February 2010, Nani was dismissed from his role as technical director at West Ham.
In July 2012, Nani joined Watford as a technical director. He was joined at the club by Zola, as well as former West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury. Nani resigned from his position on 2 September 2014 to pursue new challenges.
- Wilson, Jeremy (17 March 2008). "Gianluca Nani named as West Ham director". Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group limited. Retrieved 8 January 2009.
- "West Ham confirm Nani appointment". BBC Sport. 17 March 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2008.
- "Gianluca Nani unveiled". West Ham United. 17 March 2008. Archived from the original on 3 December 2008. Retrieved 8 January 2009.
- Wilson, Jeremy (18 March 2008). "Gianluca Nani to join West Ham from Brescia". Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group limited. Retrieved 8 January 2009.
- Technical director Gianluca Nani leaves West Ham Times Online, 24 February 2010
- Smith, Frank (5 July 2012). "Riva is Watford's new chairman". Watford Observer. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- Smith, Frank (13 July 2012). "Zola: There will be no interference in team selection". Watford Observer. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "OFFICIAL: Gian Luca Nani Bids Farewell". watfordfc.com. 2 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- Jones, Simon. "Gianluca Nani named technical director at struggling Abu Dhabi outfit Al Jazira". Retrieved 14 December 2015.
- "Gianluca Nani appointed West Ham technical director". Times Online. 17 March 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2008.
- Pritchard, Rob (14 August 2008). "EXCLUSIVE - Gianluca Nani interview". Echo. Newsquest Media Group. Retrieved 8 January 2009.