|Born||27 June 1940|
|Alma mater||Istituto Tecnico Nautico Statale Nino Bixio|
|Occupation||Founder, Mediterranean Shipping Company|
|Net worth||US$8.4 billion (August 2018)|
|Parent(s)||Aniello Aponte |
Gianluigi Aponte (Italian pronunciation: [dʒanluˈiːdʒi aˈponte]; born 27 June 1940) is an Italian billionaire businessman, and the founder, owner and chairman of Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC), the second-largest container shipping line in the world after Maersk.
Aponte is a Neapolitan captain, who entered the shipping industry in 1970 together with his spouse, Rafaela. At that time, the newly formed company owned a single vessel that would ship cargo between Europe and Africa. With the growth of his business he eventually made a move towards the cruise industry in 1988. As of 2014 he has retired from the position of CEO and president in favour of his son, Diego Aponte, and took on a role as executive chairman within MSC.
In 2009, at the Teatro di San Carlo of Naples, he received, along with Fabio Cannavaro, Ambra Vallo and others, a prize for "Neapolitan Excellence in the World" from the Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi.
In 2012 he won the Cruise International Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his long term activity in the industry.
In October 2013, he received Containerisation International’s Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as a knighthood, Order of Merit for Labour, from Italian President Giorgio Napolitano. In 2014, Aponte and his family were named among the 10 most influential people in the shipping industry according to Lloyds List.
- "Gianluigi & Rafaela Aponte". Forbes. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "La traversata del marinaio di Sorrento" (PDF). Goffredolocatelli.it. Retrieved 2015-08-01.
- Saltmarsh, Matthew. "Shipping Magnate Takes a New Tack: The Cruise Business", The New York Times [online], October 29, 2010. Accessed 21 April 2015
- Brett, Damian. "Diego Aponte becomes MSC president", Lloyd's List, Containerisation International, 2 October 2014. Accessed 14 April 2015
- Andersen, Ole. "Introducing Maersk Line's new Neapolitan partner". shippingwatch.com. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "MSC Cruises' Founder Receives Cruise International's Lifetime Achievement Award, MSC Cruises, 13 September 2012. Accessed 21 April 2015
- "Containers - Aponte wins Lifetime Achievement Award - Lloyd's List". Lloydslist.com. 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2015-08-01.
- "MSC’s Aponte Receives Italian Order of Merit for Labor ", Cruise Industry News, 15 October 2013. Accessed 21 April 2015
- "Top 100 - 6. Aponte Family, Mediterranean Shipping Co - Lloyd's List". Lloydslist.com. 2014-12-12. Retrieved 2015-08-01.
- "Gianluigi Aponte e la MSC Crociere - Grandi personaggi - Impresa Oggi". www.impresaoggi.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Bloomberg Billionaires Profile". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
|This business-related Italian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|