Gianrico Carofiglio (born 30 May 1961) is a novelist and former anti-Mafia judge in the Italian city of Bari. His debut novel, Involuntary Witness, published in 2002 and translated into English in 2005 by Patrick Creagh, was published by the Bitter Lemon Press and has been adapted as the basis for a popular television series in Italy. The subsequent novels were translated by Howard Curtis.
Carofiglio won the 2005 Premio Bancarella award for his novel "Il passato è una terra straniera". He is also Honorary President of The Edinburgh Gadda Prize which celebrates the work of Carlo Emilio Gadda.
He is married with two children.
The Past is a Foreign Country
The Past is a Foreign Country is the English language title of the 2004 novel Il passato è una terra straniera by Italian author Gianrico Carofiglio. It won the 2005 Premio Bancarella literary award. It has been translated into English.
- Involuntary Witness - 2005 (Testimone Inconsapevole)
- A Walk in the Dark - 2006 (Ad Occhi Chiusi) with Howard Curtis
- Reasonable Doubts - 2007 (Ragionevoli Dubbi) with Howard Curtis
- Temporary Perfections - 2011 (Le Perfezioni Provvisorie)
- The Past is a Foreign Country - 2004 (Il passato è una terra straniera) Published in English 2007
- There is no Wisdom - 2010 (Non Esiste Saggezza) (not published in English)
- The Setting-free of Words - 2010 (La Manomissione Delle Parole) (not published in English)
- The Silence of the Wave
- Il Bordo Vertiginoso delle Cose - 2013
- "He lives alone with his cat". London: The Telegraph. 9 August 2007. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "Chiara Muti e l'avvocato Guerrieri" (in Italian). TGCOM. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "Mafia Buster Carofiglio Talks About Moonlighting as an Author". Bloomberg L.P. 2 August 2005. Retrieved 18 January 2010.
- "La casa nel bosco, intervista ai Carofiglio: «Quel merluzzo di mio fratello»". Vanity Fair Italia (in Italian). 22 March 2014.
- Bloomberg News Article, August 2, 2005
- Jake Kerridge (10 November 2007). "Genre: crime fiction". London: Telegraph Media Group Limited. Retrieved 11 March 2010.