|Co-founder of the Five Star Movement|
4 October 2009 – 12 April 2016
Serving with Beppe Grillo
14 August 1954
12 April 2016 (aged 61)|
|Cause of death||Brain cancer|
|Political party||Five Star Movement|
He was co-founder and chairman of Casaleggio Associati srl, an internet and publishing company that advises on network strategies, and editor of Beppe Grillo's blog. He was also co-founder, with Beppe Grillo, of the Five Star Movement, of which he was sometimes called "guru". In the Italian context, Casaleggio promoted the Web as a medium for political communication.
Casaleggio began his career working at Olivetti S.p.A, then, in the late 1990s, became CEO at Webegg SpA, an internet consulting company. Webegg suffered heavy losses (over €20 million) in the period 2002–2003, and Casaleggio was replaced as CEO of Webegg in 2003 by Giuseppe Longo, appointed to lead the company turnaround. In 2004, Casaleggio founded Casaleggio Associati, an internet consulting company that carries out research on e-commerce in Italy and whose finding are presented at a conference held in Milan every spring (since 2006).
Casaleggio Associati has been since 2005 the editor of Beppe Grillo's blog as well as of some of Grillo's books. Casaleggio Associati was also editor of the web-blog of Antonio Di Pietro (until 2010), and the website of Chiarelettere, an editor, until 2013, when was dismissed following divergence over the editorial strategy.
Gianroberto Casaleggio died on 12 April 2016 in Milan, at the age of 61, after a long period of illness.
- Marco Alfieri (26 May 2012). "Grillo e l'ombra di Casaleggio il guru con il mito di Re Artù". La Stampa (in Italian). Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- Emiliano Liuzzi (8 September 2012). "Il guru Casaleggio esce dall'ombra: "Non decido io"". il Fatto Quotidiano (in Italian). Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Natale, Simone; Ballatore, Andrea (2014-01-01). "The web will kill them all: new media, digital utopia, and political struggle in the Italian 5-Star Movement". Media, Culture & Society. 36 (1): 105–121. doi:10.1177/0163443713511902. ISSN 0163-4437.
- "Telecom Italia rinuncia al controllo di Webegg". MF Milano Finanza (in Italian). 6 April 2004.
- Ettore Colombo (3 November 2012). "Grillo-Di Pietro, il piano per le elezioni"Ingroia candidato premier"". Il Messaggero (in Italian). Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Francesco Oggiano (July 8, 2013). "Il guru dimezzato". Vanity Fair (in Italian). Archived from the original on July 12, 2013. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Paolo Bracalini (12 November 2012). "Quando Travaglio & C. mandarono a quel paese il guru a cinque stelle". il Giornale (in Italian). Retrieved 19 December 2012.
- "M5s, è morto Gianroberto Casaleggio Fotostoria| Le frasi | I video". Corriere.it (in Italian). Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Horowitz, Jason, "With Success Comes Dissension in Italy’s Five Star Movement", New York Times, December 12, 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-12.
- (in Italian) Five Star Movement
- (in Italian) Personal website
- John Hooper (3 January 2013). "Italy's web guru tastes power as new political movement goes viral". The Guardian.
- Peter Popham (7 April 2013). "Italy's web politicians post their dystopic vision". The Independent.