|Industry||Retail: Discount stores, grocery stores, and hypermarkets|
|Founded||1944Kuala Lumpur, Federated Malay States (now Malaysia)in|
|Headquarters||Shah Alam, |
Number of locations
|54 stores (2017)|
|Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia|
|Teng Family (1944–1999)|
Simon Keswick (CEO)
Howard Mowlem (Chairman/(GFD)
|Owner||Dairy Farm International Holdings|
|Parent||Dairy Farm International Holdings|
GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd (doing business as Giant Hypermarket) is a hypermarket and retailer chain in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia, and Vietnam. In 2016, Giant is the largest supermarket chain in Malaysia. 
Giant was founded in 1944 as a small grocery store in Kuala Lumpur, and expanded with the opening of the Teng Minimarket Centre in Bangsar in 1974. In 1999, Dairy Farm International Holdings bought a 90% interest in the chain, with the Teng family retaining the balance. By 2003, the holding company for the chain had changed its name to Dairy Farm Giant Retail Sdn Bhd, and the chain had eight Giant hypermarkets and 10 supermarkets as well as three Cold Storage supermarkets. Today, the company operates as a subsidiary of Dairy Farm International Holdings Limited and the name was changed to GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
Giant hypermarket in Tampines, Singapore.
- "Five Giant outlets to close on Nov 5 on expiration of leases". The Sun Daily. 26 October 2016. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- Ubaidillah Masli (23 March 2008). "Bruneians go all out for Giant bargains". The Brunei Times. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Quoc Hung (31 August 2011). "Supermarket Giant to be opened in Vietnam". The Saigon Times. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Abdul Ghani Wahab (21 November 2016). "Malaysia Retail Foods Annual 2016" (PDF). USDA Foreign Agricultural Service. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- Ferina Manecksha (13 January 2000). "Giant TMC adopts e-commerce initiative". New Straits Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Giant TMC to open ninth outlet". New Straits Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). 16 October 2000. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Company Overview of GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Giant Hypermarket.|
- Official website
- Giant Singapore
- Giant Indonesia
- Giant Vietnam
- GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd Company Profile on Bloomberg L.P.
|This Malaysian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|