|Industry||Retail: Discount stores, grocery stores, and hypermarkets|
|Founded||1944Kuala Lumpur, Malaysiain|
|Headquarters||Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia|
Number of locations
|126 stores (2015)|
|Teng Family (1944–1999)
Simon Keswick (CEO)
Howard Mowlem (Chairman/(GFD)
|Owner||Dairy Farm International Holdings|
|Slogans||Everyday Low Prices, Big Variety and Great Value (Malaysia)
Giant. Big Variety, Great Value (Singapore)
Giant is a hypermarket and retailer chain in Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, and Vietnam. Giant is one of the largest players of the retail industry in Malaysia, having over 85 branches spread throughout the country. It was founded by the Teng family in 1944.
Giant was founded in 1944 as a small grocery store in Kuala Lumpur, and expanded with the opening of the Teng Minimarket Centre in Bangsar in 1974. In 1999, Dairy Farm International Holdings bought a 90 percent interest in the chain, with the Teng family retaining the balance. By 2003, the holding company for the chain had changed its name to Dairy Farm Giant Retail Sdn Bhd, and the chain had eight Giant hypermarkets and 10 supermarkets as well as three Cold Storage supermarkets. Today, the company operates as a subsidiary of Dairy Farm International Holdings Limited and the name was changed to GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd.
- Gabrielle Easter (19 January 2015). "Giant builds Malaysian presence". Asia Fruit. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Ubaidillah Masli (23 March 2008). "Bruneians go all out for Giant bargains". The Brunei Times. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Quoc Hung (31 August 2011). "Supermarket Giant to be opened in Vietnam". The Saigon Times. Archived from the original on 16 April 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- Ferina Manecksha (13 January 2000). "Giant TMC adopts e-commerce initiative". New Straits Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Giant TMC to open ninth outlet". New Straits Times – via HighBeam (subscription required). 16 October 2000. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Company Overview of GCH Retail (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
|This Malaysian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|