This article does not cite any sources. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Giant Robo manga cover art
|Genre||Action, Mecha, Secret agent|
|Written by||Mitsuteru Yokoyama|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Sunday|
|Original run||May 1967 – March 1968|
|Anime television series|
|GR: Giant Robo|
|Directed by||Masahiko Murata|
|Written by||Chiaki J. Konaka|
|Original network||SKY Perfect|
|Original run||January 19, 2007 – July 6, 2007|
|GR: Giant Robo|
|Written by||Ryoumati Shiro|
|Published by||Wani Books|
|Original run||2007 – 2007|
Since Toei requested a plot for a tokusatsu TV series from Yokoyama, he wrote this manga. Yokoyama made the setting "Giant Robo follows only a hero" for differentiation with his Tetsujin 28 which everyone can control.
The secret society "Big Fire" scheming to conquer the world is furthering Project GR. The special investigation organization of the United Nations dispatches an agent in Country T to interfere with the plan. Daisaku Kusama, a Japanese tourist, is mistaken for the agent, and is abducted by "BF".
Daisaku Kusama comes back barely alive to Japan with Secret Agent Azuma with GR1. However, "BF" plans an attempt on Daisaku's life to recapture GR1, and they let GR2 and GR3 attack Tokyo.
A bomber carrying a hydrogen bomb crashes into Japanese waters. The hydrogen bomb has already been recovered by "BF" though the bomber is recovered at once. "BF" demands that GR1 should be exchanged for a hydrogen bomb.
- Daisaku Kusama: A teenage Japanese boy who was traveling to T Nation in order to study.
- Azuma: The chairman of Japanese branch of the special investigation organization of the United Nations.
- Giant Robo (tokusatsu), a 1967 live-action series based on the manga. Also known as Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot.
- Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still, a 1990s direct-to-video series inspired by the manga.
- Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Burned, a 2006 manga series from the creator of Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.
GR: Giant Robo
GR: Giant Robo (GR ジャイアントロボ GR: Jaianto Robo) is an animated TV series written by Chiaki Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain, The Big O) and directed by Masahiko Murata (Jinki:EXTEND, Mazinkaiser). The TV series is a re-imagining of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's manga and created to commemorate Giant Robo's 40th anniversary.
GR premiered January 19, 2007. The series finished its run on July 6 of the same year, totaling 13 episodes, with the possibility for two further seasons.
The story takes place at the dawn of the 21st century, when the Earth is overrun by giant robots. Daisaku Kusama encounters one of these monsters, the titular Robo, in a ruin in Okinawa. Beckoned by forces he cannot understand, Daisaku is made to bond, body and spirit, with the ancient weapon and defend his homeland from the incoming evil.
- Morgan, Jonah. "Exclusive Report: GR-Giant Robo At TIFFCOM 2006". Anime News Service.
|This anime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|