Varieties and uses
In the United States, giardiniera is commonly available in traditional or spicy varieties, and the latter is sometimes referred to as "hot mix".
Giardiniera is a versatile condiment that can be used on a variety of different foods such as bratwurst, bruschetta, burgers, pasta salad, eggs (omelets), hot dogs, tuna salad, sandwiches, and much more. In the U.S. it is not uncommon to use giardiniera on pasta or, in the Chicago area, pizza.
A milder variety of giardiniera is used for the olive salad in the muffuletta sandwich.
Chicago-style giardiniera is commonly made "hot" with sport peppers or "mild" without, along with a combination of assorted vegetables, including bell peppers, celery, carrots, cauliflower, serrano peppers and gherkins, and sometimes crushed red pepper flakes, all marinated in vegetable oil, olive oil, soybean oil, or any combination of the three. Some commercially prepared versions are labeled "Chicago-style giardiniera".
- Jangajji – Type of Korean non-fermented pickled vegetable side dish
- Torshi – The pickled vegetables of the cuisines of many Balkan and Middle East countries
- Piccalilli – A relish of chopped pickled vegetables and spices
- List of pickled foods – List of links to Wikipedia articles on pickled foods
- "giardiniera" (US) and "giardiniera". Oxford Dictionaries. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 15 May 2019.
- Miller, Robin (November 2007). Quick Fix Meals: 200 Simple, Delicious Recipes to Make Mealtime Easy. Newtown, CT: Taunton Press. p. 231. ISBN 978-1-56158-947-0.
- Larsen, L. (2007). The About.Com Guide To Shortcut Cooking: 225 Simple and Delicious Recipes for the Chef on the Go. About.com Guides. Adams Media. p. 106. ISBN 978-1-59869-273-0.
- Lombardi, Skip (2004). La Cucina dei Poveri. p. 8. ISBN 1-4116-1141-1.
- Gillespie, K.; Joachim, D. (2012). Fire in My Belly: Real Cooking. Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC. p. 231. ISBN 978-1-4494-2642-2.
- Mercuri, B. (2009). American Sandwich. Gibbs Smith, Publisher. p. 39. ISBN 978-1-4236-1192-9. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- Capone, D.M. (2010). Uncle Al Capone: The Untold Story from Inside His Family. Recap Publishing Company. p. 98. ISBN 978-0-9828451-0-3.