|Comune di Giarre|
|Province / Metropolitan city||Catania (CT)|
|Frazioni||Altarello, Carruba, Macchia, Miscarello, San Giovanni Montebello, San Leonardello, Santa Maria la Strada, Sciara, Trepunti|
|• Mayor||Roberto Bonaccorsi (since June 24, 2013)|
|• Total||27 km2 (10 sq mi)|
|Elevation||81 m (266 ft)|
|• Density||1,000/km2 (2,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||95014, 95010|
|Patron saint||St. Isidore the Labourer|
|Saint day||10 May|
Some historians suppose that the ancient Greek city of Kallipolis was situated in the same territory of the present-day town of Giarre, but nowadays there is no relevant proof of it.
Since the late 16th century until 1815 Giarre was a village of the county of Mascali.
Its frazioni are Altarello, Carruba, Macchia, Miscarello, San Giovanni Montebello, San Leonardello, Santa Maria la Strada, Sciara and Trepunti.
Other sights include:
- Oratory of St. Filippo Neri (18th century)
- Sanctuary of Maria Santissima della Strada, the oldest church in the town (dating to 1081). Today little remains of the original medieval structure, having been replaced by a neoclassicist edifice.
- Museum of Uses and Customs of the Etna people
- Mediterraneum Aquarium
Giarre has attracted attention for its numerous unfinished buildings and amenities, initiated with public money in the 1990s but never used. A small number have been converted to other uses, including a multi-storey car park; residents also see the prospect of some tourism, as the town has come to be regarded as the centre this style of urban planning.
- Cismon del Grappa, Italy, since 1969
- Media related to Giarre at Wikimedia Commons