Gibraltar Peak (Canberra)
Looking towards Canberra from Gibraltar Peak.
|Elevation||1,038 m (3,406 ft) |
|Location||Australian Capital Territory, Australia|
|Easiest route||Hike via the Gibraltar Peak Track from Dalsetta car park|
Gibraltar Peak is a mountain with an elevation of 1,038 metres (3,406 feet) AHD that is located within the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve, approximately 26.4 kilometres (16.4 miles) from Canberra, in the Australian Capital Territory of Australia. Gibraltar Peak is the 45th highest mountain in the Australian Capital Territory. There are two tracks leading up to the summit of the mountain, the longer being 13 kilometres (8.1 mi) and the shorter being 8 kilometres (5.0 mi).
Location and features
Canberra is the closest city to Gibraltar Peak at approximately 26.4 kilometres (16.4 mi) away. The nearest point of road access to the summit is an unsealed road 170 metres (560 ft) from the summit. The closest sealed road to the summit is the Corin Dam Road, which is about 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) away from the peak. The peak is located inside the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve.
Vegetation and wildlife
Hiking routes and activity
There are two tracks leading up to the summit of Gibraltar Peak, one is an 8-kilometre (5.0 mi) return walk from the Dalsetta car park; the other is 13-kilometre (8.1 mi) return journey via the Birrigai Time Trail and the visitor centre. The track leading up to the peak was created by Makin Trax, that won an award for its work in 2012. Within two weeks of the new track being opened in May 2012, over 400 people had used it. A viewing platform was built near the mountain.
People have illegally dumped garbage near the peak. During the 1970s, Australian climbers including Bryden Allen, Joe Friend, John Fantini and Keith Bell were climbing Gibraltar Peak and other mountains in the area. During the 1980s, Antipodean Atrocities was created at the peak as a climbing route up the mountain.
- "Map of Gibraltar Peak, Australian Capital Territory". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Trail, Jim (26 September 2012). "Explore Canberra: Gibraltar Peak walking trail". ABC Canberra. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Highest Mountains and Hills in the Australian Capital Territory". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Gibraltar Peak trail contractor wins award". Government of the Australian Capital Territory. 1 April 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Tim the Yowie Man (14 April 2012). "On the right track". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- "Canberrans embrace new Gibraltar Peak walking trail". Government of the Australian Capital Territory. 1 April 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "WHAT PEOPLE ARE DOING". The Canberra Times. 19 January 1954. p. 4. Retrieved 25 October 2012 – via National Library of Australia.
- "WHAT PEOPLE ARE DOING". The Canberra Times. 15 December 1953. p. 4. Retrieved 25 October 2012 – via National Library of Australia.
- Mannheim, Markus (14 August 2012). "Dumper 'spoils' nature reserve". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "ACT Climbing History". Canberra Climbing. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
Media related to Gibraltar Peak (Australian Capital Territory) at Wikimedia Commons
- Explore Canberra: Gibraltar Peak walking trail, abc.net.au (includes video)