Canals of Giethoorn in 2014
|Nickname(s): Venice of the North
Venice of the Netherlands
|Overijssel in the Netherlands|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Giethoorn (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈɣitɦoːrn]) is a village in the Dutch province of Overijssel. It is located in the municipality of Steenwijkerland, about 5 km southwest of Steenwijk. Giethoorn is often referred to as 'Little Venice'.
Giethoorn used to be a pedestrian precinct, but nowadays exceptions are made. It became locally famous, especially after 1958, when the Dutch film maker Bert Haanstra made his famous comedy Fanfare there. In the old part of the village, there were no roads (though a cycling path was eventually added), and all transport was done by water over one of the many canals. The lakes in Giethoorn were formed by peat unearthing.
Tourism has had a relatively small influence on the old traditional town. The village, still only fully accessible by boat, is one of several places commonly known as the Venice of the North or Venice of the Netherlands. Giethoorn has over 180 bridges.
Monopoly Here & Now
The village of Giethoorn fended off competition from some 182 contenders across the world to achieve a place on the board of the new international edition of Monopoly (the locals are very proud of this achievement).  An online campaign led by local Village Marketeer Giethoorn.com resulted in enough votes to obtain spot number 21 on the special edition.
Boats were almost the only way for transportation in Giethoorn in 1942
- 'Dutch News
- Giethoorn, DailyMail
- Ad van der Meer and Onno Boonstra, Repertorium van Nederlandse gemeenten, KNAW, 2006.
- "Giethoorn travel guide". Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Photos from Giethoorn, Venice of the Netherlands". Archived from the original on 2008-04-23. Retrieved 2008-06-20.
- "Holland.com Giethoorn guide". Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Dutch:Chinezen in Nederland, Connexion
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Giethoorn.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Giethoorn.|
- Everything you need to know about Giethoorn can be found on Giethoorn.com
- Giethoorn travel information
- Giethoorn Travel Guide from VirtualTourist.com
|This Overijssel location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|