Gift of the Givers
Gift of the Givers Foundation is a South African Non-governmental organization started by Dr. Imtiaz Sooliman in 1992. It is the largest disaster relief group of African origin. Gift of the Givers has worked in many countries around the world, including Bosnia, Pakistan, Somalia, Haiti and Zimbabwe. During the aftermath of the 2010 Haiti earthquake the organisation sent four rescue teams and aid materials to the country. They were at one point in 2011 the only international aid group providing food aid to Somalia, airlifting 180 tons and shipping 2000 tons of aid.
Honours and accolades
Through Gift of the Givers, South African medics and volunteers have been assisting people during the civil war in Syria. Unrest in the area has been the cause of South Africans fleeing and being injured, some to the point of death.
In 2013, victims of flooding in the Karonga region of Malawi were given aid in the form of food. The Gift of the Givers organization was the first non-governmental organization to offer help to the region. In 2015, after 176 died during flooding of the Shire Valley, and with thousands homeless, the foundation provided assistance for some 10,000 families in southern Malawi.
- Lubna Nadvi (2008). "South African Muslims and Political Engagement in a Globalising Context". South African Historical Journal. 60: 624. doi:10.1080/02582470802635703. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Nkepile Mabuse; Teo Kermeliotis (13 October 2011). "The Africans giving aid to the world". CNN. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- Daniël J van Hoving; Wayne P Smith; Efraim B Kramer; Shaheem de Vries; Fathima Docrat; Lee A Wallis (2010). "Haiti: the South African perspective". South African Medical Journal. Cape Town. 100 (8). ISSN 0256-9574. Accessed 1 November 2017
- Andrew, Miranda (August 10, 2011). "Only one aid group in Somalia". Independent Online. Retrieved 28 August 2011.
- Interview cited in Desai, Ashwin (2009). Responding to the May 2008 Xenophobic attacks: A case study of The Gift of the Givers. University of Johannesburg, Centre for Sociological Research. p. 5.
- "Local heroes". The Witness. 2010-04-28. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Gunfire at Syria hospital causes SA medics to flee" (...'in Syria alongside the Gift of the Givers Foundation, who have gone to assist victims of the civil war...') 20 April 2012, at ewn.co.za Accessed 15 November 2017
- Schalk Mouton, 30 April 2013, "SA volunteer in Syria killed in car accident" ('...team of Gift of the Givers medical professionals ...working at a newly established hospital in Darkoush') in Times Live/ Sunday Times at timeslive.co.za Accessed 15 November 2017
- "Gift of the Givers Foundation reaches out to Karonga flood victims", 24 April 2013, at nyasatimes.com Accessed 1 November 2017
- Chancy Namadzunda, 19 January 2015, "Gift of Givers set aside K50m for flood victims in Malawi", at nyasatimes.com Accessed 1 November 2017
|This article about a philanthropic or charitable organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|