Gigaquit, Surigao del Norte
|Municipality of Gigaquit|
Map of Surigao del Norte with Gigaquit highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Province||Surigao del Norte|
|Barangays||13 (see Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Carlos Manongas Egay|
|• Electorate||11,499 voters (2016)|
|• Total||138.11 km2 (53.32 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (PST)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)86|
|Climate type||Tropical rainforest climate|
|Income class||4th municipal income class|
|Revenue (₱)||71.3 million (2016)|
Gigaquit, officially the Municipality of Gigaquit, is a 4th class municipality in the province of Surigao del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 20,864 people.
The name is derived from the words gigad (meaning "shore") and gakit (meaning "bamboo raft") and refers to the means of transportation that the early settlers used to travel from the inland to the shore.
Gigaquit is politically subdivided into 13 barangays.
- Alambique (Poblacion)
- Ipil (Poblacion)
- San Antonio (Bonot)
- San Isidro (Parang)
Gigaquit was established in 1850 by Cero, a native who fortified the place to make it safe from Moro raiders. During this period, the local population was Christianized by priests from religious orders who made Saint Augustine their patron saint.
Bacuag and Claver, which had been part of Gigaquit, became separate municipalities in 1918 and 1955 under Executive Order Nos. 61 and 126 respectively.
|Population census of Gigaquit|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
- "Municipality". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- "Province: Surigao del Norte". PSGC Interactive. Quezon City, Philippines: Philippine Statistics Authority. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Census of Population (2015). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Historical Background". Gigaquit. Province of Surigao Del Norte. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- Census of Population and Housing (2010). "Caraga". Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay. NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Censuses of Population (1903–2007). "Caraga". Table 1. Population Enumerated in Various Censuses by Province/Highly Urbanized City: 1903 to 2007. NSO.
- "Province of Surigao del Norte". Municipality Population Data. Local Water Utilities Administration Research Division. Retrieved 17 December 2016.