A gigolo (// or //) is a male escort or social companion who is supported by a woman in a continuing relationship, often living in her residence or having to be present at her beck and call. The gigolo is expected to provide companionship, to serve as a consistent escort with good manners and social skills, and often, to serve as a dancing partner as required by the woman in exchange for the support. Many gifts such as expensive clothing and an automobile to drive may be lavished upon him. The relationship may include sexual services as well, when he also would be referred to as "a kept man".
- Definition of gigolo Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- A man who is kept by a woman, Word Reference, accessed 2013.02.14
- Otterman, Sharon, ‘Swiss Gigolo’ Sentenced to Six Years, The Lede, March 9, 2009, News, The New York Times, 2013.02.14
- Dahlkamp,Jürgen, Röbel,Sven, and Smoltczyk, Alexander, Gigolo Trial: Trial to Begin for Man Who Duped Germany's Richest Woman, Spiegel Online International, accessed 2013.02.14
- back formation from gigolette, Word Reference, accessed 2013.02.14
- Chang, Juju; Thompson, Victoria; Harold, Kelly (2012-02-16). "Secrets of Gigolos: Why More Women Say They Are Willing to Pay for Sex". ABC News Internet Ventures. Retrieved 2014-10-19.