|Gil Shwed |
|Occupation||Co-Founder and CEO of Check Point Software Technologies|
|Net worth||2.2 billion (2016)|
Gil Shwed (Hebrew: גיל שויד; born in 1968 in Jerusalem) is an Israeli software engineer, inventor and entrepreneur. He is the co-founder and CEO of Check Point Software Technologies Ltd, one of Israel's largest technology companies and the world's largest pure-play cybersecurity company.
Shwed was born in Jerusalem in 1968. He started programming at the age of 13, and two years later began studying computer sciences at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, while he was still in high-school.
During his military service he was part of the Intelligence Corps' Unit 8200. After his military service had ended, Shwed joined the Israeli startup company Optrotech (currently Orbotech), where he worked as a Software Developer.
That year, Shwed invented and patented stateful inspection, which served as the basis for the first version of the company’s renowned FireWall-1, released in 1994. Stateful Inspection is still widely used in network firewalls today.
Shwed is the chief executive officer and director of Check Point. He previously served as president of Check Point and chairman of the board.
Shwed and Check Point emphasize the "fifth generation" of cybersecurity, addressing the underlying issues behind such vulnerabilities as the WannaCry and NotPetya security breaches in 2017. He has stated that enterprise businesses are "two generations behind" in their security thinking, and describes the industry as being at an "inflection point."
He is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of Tel Aviv University and the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Youth University of Tel Aviv University. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of Yeholot Association Founded by the Rashi Foundation whose charter is, among other things, to reduce dropout rates in high schools.
In 2002, Shwed appeared on the front cover of Forbes’ Billionaires issue.
He received numerous prestigious accolades for his individual achievements and industry contributions, including an honorary Doctor of Science from the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, which he received in June 2005.
He was also acknowledged by the World Economic Forum's Global Leader for Tomorrow as one of the world's 100 top young leaders, due to his commitment to public affairs and leadership in areas beyond immediate professional interests. In addition, Shwed received the Academy of Achievement's Golden Plate Award for his innovative contribution to business and technology.
Shwed received the Israel-America Chambers of Commerce Industry Award on behalf of Check Point Software Technologies, for companies who demonstrate entrepreneurial abilities and excellence in the field of advanced technologies.
- "Gil Shwed". Forbes. September 28, 2016. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- CIO. October 1, 2002. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "A Fortune In Firewalls". Forbes. March 18, 2002.
- Morgan, Steve. "Meet the World's Largest Cybersecurity Companies". Forbes. Forbes. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- "The Unit". Forbes. February 8, 2007. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Paul Fisher (September 22, 2009). SC Magazine interviews Gil Shwed, co-founder of Check Point. SC Magazine UK. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Cultural mythology and global leadership. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "What is stateful inspection?". Searchnetworking.techtarget.com. August 17, 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "Bloomberg Executive Profile".
- Arkin, Dan (January 30, 2018). ""It's imperative to develop innovative, sixth-generation defenses": Check Point Founder and CEO Gil Shwed said at the opening plenary of Cybertech Tel Aviv 2018 that "fifth-generation cyber-attacks excel in identification theft, as well as in targeting cloud services and mobile systems"". Israel Defense.
- Murphy, Ian (January 25, 2018). "Check Point warns of mega attacks". Enterprise Times.
- Harding, Scharon (February 9, 2018). "Check Point CEO: Enterprises 'two generations behind' in cybersecurity: The average enterprise hasn't made it past app security, Gil Shwed tells conference". ChannelNomics.
- Panettieri, Joe (February 7, 2018). "Check Point Software CEO Gil Shwed Addresses Fifth Generation Cyber Attacks". MSSP Alert.
- "March 2003". Pard.technion.ac.il. March 27, 2011. Archived from the original on July 26, 2010. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- Yefet, Nati (March 4, 2018). "Gil Shwed wins first-ever Israel Prize in high-tech". Globes.
- "The Israeli Entrepreneur of the Year award". Archived from the original on 2013-01-20.
- Dover, Shiri. ""Globes" names Gil Shwed "Person of the Year"". Globes. Globes. Retrieved 3 November 2016.
- Vidal, Elihay (2017-09-18). "High-tech Execs Dominate List of 100 Most Influential People in Israeli Economy". Haaretz. Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- "Cybersecurity Pioneer Gil Shwed to Receive First Israel Prize in Technology: Founder and CEO of Check Point Software Technologies has been awarded the first Israel Prize in the newly formed technology category". Haaretz. March 5, 2018.
- Orbach, Meir (April 3, 2018). "Check Point Founder Gil Shwed First Israel Award Laureate in the Field of Technology and Innovation". CTech / Calcalist.