Gil Troy (born 1961) is an American presidential historian and a Zionist activist. He is Professor of History at McGill University and a Research Fellow in the Shalom Hartman Institute's Engaging Israel Program. Troy is the author of eight books, and the editor of two. His articles have appeared in The New York Times, The New Republic and other major media outlets. He is Editor-at-Large of the "Open Zion" blog on The Daily Beast, and a columnist for The Jerusalem Post.
Troy was born in Queens, New York. He is the brother of Tevi David Troy. He attended Jamaica High School, and received his bachelor's degree, master's degree, and doctorate from Harvard University.
Troy taught history and literature at Harvard University from 1988 to 1990. He has taught history at McGill University since 1990. Troy has authored six books on the American presidency, including biographies of Ronald Reagan and Hillary Rodham Clinton, and edited two others, including a revised edition of a comprehensive reference guide to American presidential elections previously edited by noted historian Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.. He has written numerous articles on the presidency and presidential elections that have appeared in The New York Times, The Wilson Quarterly, and other newspapers, magazines and journals. He has served as Visiting Scholar at the Bipartisan Policy Center and on the Advisory Board of the History News Network.
Troy is a prominent activist in the debate over Zionism and the future of Israel. His articles on the subject have appeared in The New Republic and elsewhere, and he has written two books, Why I am a Zionist and Moynihan's Moment: America's Fight Against Zionism as Racism, which David G. Dalin, writing in the National Review, called "beautifully written, and rich in its insight and analysis ... the definitive account of this episode and of why its legacy is an enduring one." Troy writes a weekly column for The Jerusalem Post and is Editor-at-Large of the "Open Zion" blog on The Daily Beast. He lectures widely on the topic of building a Zionist vision for the 21st century.
- The Age of Clinton: America in the 1990s. St. Martin's Press, 2015. ISBN 978-1-25-006372-4
- Moynihan's Moment: America's Fight Against Zionism as Racism. Oxford University Press, 2012. ISBN 978-0-19-992030-3
- History of American Presidential Elections 1789–2008. (4th edition, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr., Gil Troy & Fred L. Israel, editors). Facts on File, 2011. ISBN 978-0-8160-8220-9
- Living in the Eighties. (Gil Troy & Vincent J. Cannato, editors). Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0-19-518787-8
- The Reagan Revolution: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0-19-531710-7
- Hillary Rodham Clinton: Polarizing First Lady. University Press of Kansas, 2008. ISBN 978-0-7006-1585-8
- Leading from the Center: Why Moderates Make the Best Presidents. Basic Books, 2008. ISBN 0-465-00293-5 (In paperback: Why Moderates Make the Best Presidents: From George Washington to Barack Obama. University Press of Kansas, 2012. ISBN 978-0-7006-1883-5)
- Morning in America: How Ronald Reagan Invented the 1980s. Princeton University Press, 2007. ISBN 978-0-691-13060-6
- Why I Am a Zionist: Israel, Jewish Identity and the Challenges of Today. Bronfman Jewish Education Center, 2002. ISBN 978-1-55234-647-1
- Affairs of State: The Rise and Rejection of the Presidential Couple Since World War II. Free Press, 1997. ISBN 978-0-684-82820-6. (In paperback: Mr. & Mrs. President: From the Trumans to the Clintons. University Press of Kansas, 2000. ISBN 978-0-7006-1034-1)
- See How They Ran: The Changing Role of the Presidential Candidate. (Revised and expanded edition.) Harvard University Press, 1996. ISBN 978-0-674-79680-5
- "Campaign Stops" columns in The New York Times 
- "Center Field" columns in The Jerusalem Post 
- "Open Zion" blogs on The Daily Beast 
- "The Campaign Triumphant," "Bury the Hatchet" and "Money and Politics: The Oldest Connection" in The Wilson Quarterly 
- "No, Israel Isn't Turning into an Iran-Style Theocracy" in The New Republic 
- Moynihan's Moment book site
- Moynihan's Moment video
- Gil Troy on Facebook
- Moynihan's Moment on Facebook
- The New York Times "Campaign Stops" columns by Gil Troy
- The Jerusalem Post "Center Field" columns by Gil Troy
- The Daily Beast "Open Zion" blogs by Gil Troy