Gilbane Building Company
|Industry||Construction Management, Facility management|
|Founder||William H. Gilbane|
7 Jackson Walkway Providence, RI,
Number of locations
|25+ Offices in the US Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Illinois, California, Washington, Oregon, Texas, Missouri, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina|
|Thomas F. Gilbane, Jr. (Chairman)|
William J. Gilbane, Jr. (COO)
Robert V. Gilbane (President of Development) Michael E. McKelvy (CEO)
|Revenue||26 billion (U.S. Dollars) (2014)|
Number of employees
Gilbane Building Company, based in Providence, Rhode Island, is a national construction and facility management company. Gilbane Building Company operates as a subsidiary of Gilbane, Inc. Gilbane Building Company was officially incorporated in 1908.
Gilbane Building Company, originally known as William H. Gilbane and Brother, was founded in 1870 by William H. Gilbane and his brother, Thomas, as a carpentry and general contracting shop in Providence, Rhode Island. The company first focused on building homes and later expanded to churches, hospitals and other buildings. William H. Gilbane’s sons, William J. Gilbane and Thomas F. Gilbane, joined the company as president and vice president in the late 1930s. In 1943, Gilbane was awarded the Army-Navy “E” Award by Under-Secretary of the Navy, James Forrestal. Gilbane expanded its services and formed the development of its sister company, Gilbane Development Company, in 1970. Gilbane Development Company concentrates on real estate development, financing, construction, operations, and management. In that same year, William J. Gilbane Jr. and Thomas F. Gilbane Jr. joined Gilbane Construction Company. In 2010, Gilbane acquired two separate companies: Innovative Technical Solutions, Inc. (ITSI), a California-based engineering and construction company on August 4, and W.G. Mills Inc., a construction management company based in Florida on November 15. Paul J. Choquette, III, a member of the fifth generation of the Gilbane family, became senior vice president of Gilbane, Inc. in 2013. In 2014, William J. Gilbane Jr. became vice chair and director of Gilbane, Inc. His son, William J. Gilbane III, joined the company in 2001 and became a senior vice president of the New York division of Gilbane Building Company.
In 2015, Gilbane Building Company named Michael McKelvy its president and chief operating officer. McKelvy was appointed CEO in 2016, succeeding Thomas F. Gilbane Jr., who remains at the company as chairman. McKelvy is the first non-family member to hold those positions since the company’s founding in 1870. As of June 2015, Gilbane has more than 50 offices within the United States and internationally. Family Business Magazine ranked Gilbane as the 78th largest family business in the United States in 2009. According to Engineering News Record, Gilbane Building Company was the 16th largest construction manager in the United States in 2015.
- 1964 New York World's Fair in Flushing Meadows, NY.
- Lake Placid Winter Olympics Facilities in Lake Placid, NY. The Lake Placid Winter Olympics Facilities hosted the XIII Olympic Winter Games in 1980.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was established by The Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial Fund to honor and recognize American veterans of the Vietnam War.
- Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. The construction for the museum was “fast tracked” in order to be completed for the United States Bicentennial.
- The National Archives in College Park, MD. The National Archives building is a Federal Archives building at the University of Maryland.
- O'Hare International Airport, Terminal 5 in Chicago, IL.
- Union Station restoration in Washington D.C.
- Robert F. Kennedy U. S. Department of Justice Building in Washington D.C.
- World War II Memorial in Washington D.C. A memorial built in 2004 to commemorate service to World War II veterans at the National Mall in Washington D.C.
- The United States Capitol Visitors Center in Washington D.C.
- George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, TX.
- Prudential Center, "The Rock" New Jersey Devils Arena, Newark, NJ.
- Georgia Tech Carbon Neutral Energy Solutions (CNES) Laboratory in Atlanta, GA.
- The ExxonMobil Campus in Houston, TX.
- The Robert W. Wilson Building, Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art in North Adams, MA.
- Legacy Union, formerly known as 620 South Tryon, in Charlotte, NC.
Certification & partnerships
Gilbane Building Company has been a member of the U.S. Green Building Council since January 15, 1999. Members of Gilbane Building Company are also board members of the Women Builders Council and the ACE Mentor program. On September 29, 2004, Gilbane Building Company formed the Gilbane Building Alliance with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The alliance was formed to provide resources and training for employee safety. In 2016, Gilbane Building Company proposed to OSHA a recommendation for on-site construction workers in New York State to hook into safety harnesses when they are working over six feet above ground. The proposal also recommended the use of two safety harnesses instead of the OSHA-required one. Gilbane claimed in its proposal that making these changes to their safety policy resulted in saving the lives of 20 workers on a project in Albany, NY. Gilbane Building Company is a partner of Rebuilding Together, an organization that improves low-income housing.
Gilbane Building Company was recognized with the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC) Annual Construction Safety Excellence Award program in 2013. In 2015, Gilbane received the CURT Construction Industry Safety Excellence Award for General Building Contractors. In 2015, Gilbane won the Associated Builders and Contractor National Excellence in Construction Award for General Contractors. In 2016, two Gilbane projects won the AGC Alliant Build America Award. Two additional international Gilbane projects won the Engineering News Record’s Global Best Projects Competition in 2016: the Kerry Global Technology and Innovation Centre in Naas, Ireland, and the Ministry of Defense Complex in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Gowdey-Backus, Emily. "White men still dominate construction, though some companies are committed to changing that". Providence Business News. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- "Gilbane Building Company, Inc.: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2017-10-26.
- "Qualifications for Construction Manager at Risk Services" (PDF). Chuh.org. 17 October 2013.
- "Gilbane Building Company" (PDF). gilbanbeco.com. p. 4.
- "Gilbane on the Forbes America's Largest Private Companies List". Forbes. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Built by Gilbane: Historical Timeline". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Company Overview of Gilbane Development Company". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "William J. Gilbane Jr.: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "McKelvy to become President and CEO of Gilbane Building Company". Virtual Builders Exchange. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Family Values Shaped Leadership". www.enr.com. May 21, 2018. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Gilbane Building Co. buys Calif.-based Innovative Technical Solutions Inc". Providence Business News. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Gilbane to acquire W.G. Mills". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Gilbane Building Co. acquires W.G. Mills Inc". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Paul J. Choquette, III Named to Lead Gilbane Building Company's Mid-Atlantic Business Unit" (PDF). Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "William J. Gilbane Jr.: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Bill Gilbane | Gilbane Building Company". The Real Deal New York. 2017-08-17. Retrieved 2019-10-18.
- "McKelvy to become President and CEO of Gilbane Building Company". PR Newswire. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Michael E. McKelvy: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". Bloomberg. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Gilbane appoints McKelvy first non-family president, COO". Providence Business News. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Gilbane Building Company Breaks Ground on New Mixed-Use Project in Sarasota, Florida". Multifamily.Biz. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "The Family Business 100: America's largest family companies". Family Business Magazine. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "ENR Top 400 Contractors". Engineering News-Record. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Full text of "1964-65 New York World's Fair Groundbreaking and Dedication Booklets"". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Construction Progressing for '80 Winter Olympics". The New York Times. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "CONSTRUCTION OF THE WALL". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund | Construction of The Wall". www.vvmf.org. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "National Air and Space Museum Exhibition Guidelines" (PDF). Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "College Park will be site of archives building Facility will feature a research section". The Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Happier Landings". The Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Union Station Management Team Picked". The Washington Post. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Robert F. Kennedy Main Justice Building". Building Design + Construction. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "World War II" (PDF).
- "Construction Team". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Gilbane gets Capitol Visitor Center contract". Washington Business Journal. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- Office, U. S. Government Accountability (2008-04-15). "Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost as of April 15, 2008" (GAO-08-677T). Cite journal requires
- "Construction of Super Bowl hotel on schedule". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "New York Construction: Best of 2008" (PDF). New York Construction. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Prudential Center | CAA ICON". www.caaicon.com. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Georgia Tech Builds Carbon-Neutral Lab to Study Carbon Neutrality". Engineering News-Record Southeast. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "GEORGIA TECH CAMPUS CENTER | GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY". Workshop. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Sneak peek at Exxon Mobil's new campus". Houston Business Journal. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "MASS MoCA Becomes the Country's Largest Contemporary Art Museum with 2017 Expansion Led by Gilbane Building Company | Gilbane". Gilbane. Retrieved 2017-10-12.
- "Redevelopment project at former Observer site to be called Legacy Union (RENDERINGS) | Gilbane". Gilbane. Retrieved 2019-04-11.
- "Gilbane Building Company". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "BOARD MEMBERS - WBC". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "ACE Mentor Program of America :: Thomas Gilbane, Jr". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "OSHA Concluded Alliances - Gilbane Building Company". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "OSHA Alliance Program > Gilbane Building Company: Alliance Agreement". www.osha.gov. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Leading construction firm pushes for stricter safety standards". The Real Deal New York. 2016-05-04. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Safety Stand-Down yields proposals to boost construction safety". Building Design + Construction. Retrieved 2019-05-10.
- "Construction firm proposes mandatory harnesses for workers in New York". Crain's New York. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Gilbane pushes OSHA to adopt 6-foot mandatory harness rule for all workers". Construction Dive. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Our Partners". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Gilbane Building Company Receives 1st Place in AGC Construction Safety Excellence Awards". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "The Construction Users Roundtable Salutes 2015 Safety Excellence Award Winners" (PDF). Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "26th Annual Excellence in Construction Awards" (PDF). Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "Exemplifying Excellence Construction Innovation Lessons from the 2016 Alliant Build America Award Winners". Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- "ENR Announces 2016 Global Best Projects Winners". Engineering News-Record. Retrieved 27 April 2017.