Gilberdyke shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||3,430 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||155 mi (249 km) S|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Haltemprice and Howden|
Gilberdyke is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 17 miles (27 km) west of Hull city centre and 5 miles (8 km) east of Howden town centre. It lies on the B1230 road, 1 mile (2 km) south of the M62 motorway.
The civil parish is formed by the village of Gilberdyke and the hamlets of Bennetland, Hive, Sandholme and Scalby. According to the 2011 UK Census, Gilberdyke parish had a population of 3,430, an increase on the 2001 UK Census figure of 3,028.
The village is served by Gilberdyke railway station with trains operating between Scarborough/Bridlington via Hull to Doncaster and Sheffield, between Hull and Selby/York and two Transpenine services a day between Hull and Leeds/Manchester calling at the station.
In 1823 Gilberdyke was in the parish of Eastrington, the Wapentake of Holderness, and the Liberty of St Peter. Population, including the settlements of Hive and Sandholm[e], was 640. Occupations at the time included four farmers, two blacksmiths, two carpenters, a shoemaker, a corn miller, a constable, a schoolmaster, an overseer, and the licensed victualler of The Cross Keys public house.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Gilberdyke CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Gilberdyke CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 16 May 2008.
- Baines, Edward (1823): History, Directory and Gazetteer of the County of York, p. 210
- "East Yorkshire singer takes the US by storm in metal band". Hull Daily Mail. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- Gazetteer – A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 6.
- Media related to Gilberdyke at Wikimedia Commons
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|