Gilbert City Hall and Police Department
|Elevation||75 ft (22.9 m)|
|Area||0.96 sq mi (2.49 km2)|
|- land||0.94 sq mi (2 km2)|
|- water||0.02 sq mi (0 km2), 2.08%|
|Density||554.3/sq mi (214.0/km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Location of Louisiana in the United States
The Gilbert welcome sign recognizes that General Claire Chennault lived there for a time as a youth.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village of Gilbert has a total area of 0.96 square miles (2.49 km2), of which 0.94 square miles (2.44 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.04 km2), or 1.77%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 561 people, 207 households, and 150 families residing in the village. The population density was 573.5 inhabitants per square mile (221.0/km²). There were 231 housing units at an average density of 236.2 per square mile (91.0/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 62.21% White, 35.83% African American, 0.18% Native American, 1.25% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.96% of the population.
There were 207 households out of which 36.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.8% were married couples living together, 19.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.1% were non-families. 24.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the village, the population was spread out with 30.3% under the age of 18, 9.3% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 19.3% from 45 to 64, and 14.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 81.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.6 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $24,297, and the median income for a family was $26,667. Males had a median income of $24,000 versus $14,531 for females. The per capita income for the village was $15,270. About 21.7% of families and 22.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 39.0% of those under age 18 and 14.1% of those age 65 or over.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Gilbert has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- Claire Lee Chennault (1893–1958), lieutenant general in the United States Air Force, reared in Gilbert
- J. C. Gilbert (1922–2014), Louisiana state legislator; interred at Oakley Cemetery in Gilbert, which is named for his family
- Willie Wilson, businessman and politician
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Gilbert village, Louisiana". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 26, 2016.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Archived from the original on June 2, 2016. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Climate Summary for Gilbert, Louisiana
- Gilbert Progress Community Progress Site for Gilbert, LA