Gilbert Burns (fighter)
|Born||Gilbert Alexander Pontes Burns|
July 20, 1986
Niterói, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Residence||Lantana, Florida, United States|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Lantana, Florida, United States|
|Trainer||Henri Hooft (striking)|
Neil Melanson (Catch wrestling)
|Rank||2nd degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Rafael "Fofitio" Barros|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Gilbert Alexander Pontes Burns (born July 20, 1986), is a Brazilian professional mixed martial artist and submission grappler who currently competes in the welterweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As a grappler, Burns is a three-time World Champion and World Cup gold medalist. He is the older brother of fellow UFC fighter Herbert Burns. As of June 2, 2020, he is #1 in the UFC welterweight rankings.
When Burns was young, his father offered to fix his customer's car in trade for three months of jiu-jitsu lessons for all of his boys. Burns started training at the Academia Associação Oriente, an affiliate of Nova União led by Welton Ribeiro. He trained with Nova Uniao until the 2007 World Championship, where he came in second place.
In 2010, Burns attained a high level of international success competing worldwide. He reached the semifinals of the European Open in January; he defeated heavy favourite Celso Venicius at the World Pro Cup trials; he won the World Cup finals in Abu Dhabi against Claudio Mattos; and he won the Brazilian Nationals in May.
In 2015, Burns won bronze at Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling championships (ADCC).
Mixed martial arts career
After winning the 2011 World Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Championships, Burns decided to make MMA his focus. He made his professional MMA debut in January 2012.
The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Burns faced promotional newcomer Christos Giagos in a lightweight bout on October 25, 2014 at UFC 179. He won the bout via submission in the first round. The win also earned him his first Performance of the Night bonus award.
Burns was expected to face Josh Thomson on March 21, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 62. However, on February 26, Thomson pulled out of the fight with an undisclosed injury, and was replaced by Alex Oliveira. After arguably dropping the first two rounds, Burns rallied to win the fight via submission in the third round. This win also earned him his second straight Performance of the Night bonus. 
In the beginning of November 2017, Burns stated he had signed a new, four-fight contract with UFC.
Burns was scheduled to face Olivier Aubin-Mercier on February 24, 2018 at UFC on Fox 28. However, on February 21, 2018, both Burns and Aubin-Mercier were pulled from the card, as promotional medical team deemed Burns would be unsafe to meet lightweight upper limit of 156 Ibs limit upon his arrival at the fight week.
Burns was linked to a fight with Lando Vannata on April April 14, 2018 at UFC on Fox 29. However, the pairing never materialized as Vannata was unable to accept the fight for this date/event as he was still rehabilitating a recent arm injury,  instead Burns was scheduled to face newcomer Dan Moret in this event. He won the fight via knockout one minute into the second round.
Burns was expected to face returning veteran Eric Wisely on April 27, 2019 at UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson. However, it was reported on April 18 that Wisely pulled out of the bout, citing injury. He was replaced by newcomer Mike Davis. Burns won the fight via rear-naked choke submission in the second round.
Burns returned to the welterweight facing Alexey Kunchenko on August 10, 2019 at UFC on ESPN+ 14, replacing injured Laureano Staropoli. He won the fight via unanimous decision, marking Kunchenko’s first loss in his career.
As the first fight of his new, four-fight contract, Burns faced Demian Maia on March 14, 2020 at UFC Fight Night 170. He won the fight via technical knockout in round one. This win earned him the Performance of the Night award.
Burns faced Tyron Woodley on May 30, 2020 in the main event of UFC on ESPN: Woodley vs. Burns. After knocking Woodley down in the first round and mostly dominating the former champion throughout the fight, Burns won the fight via unanimous decision. This win also earned him his fourth Performance of the Night award.
As the first fight of his new contract, Burns was scheduled to face Kamaru Usman for the UFC Welterweight Championship on July 11 at UFC 251. However, on July 3, 2020, it was revealed that Burns tested positive for COVID-19, and he was subsequently removed from the card.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- ADCC World Third placer
- IBJJF No-gi World Champion
- IBJJF Gi World Champion
- IBJJF No-gi World Champion
- ADWPJJC World Cup Champion
- UAEJJF Abu Dhabi Pro Champion
- CBJJ Brazilian National Champion
- IBJJF World Runner-up
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|22 matches||19 wins||3 losses|
|Win||19–3||Tyron Woodley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Woodley vs. Burns||May 30, 2020||5||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||18–3||Demian Maia||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Lee vs. Oliveira||March 14, 2020||1||2:34||Brasília, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–3||Gunnar Nelson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Hermansson vs. Cannonier||September 28, 2019||3||5:00||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Win||16–3||Alexey Kunchenko||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko vs. Carmouche 2||August 10, 2019||3||5:00||Montevideo, Uruguay||Return to Welterweight.|
|Win||15–3||Mike Davis||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Hermansson||April 27, 2019||2||4:16||Sunrise, Florida, United States|
|Win||14–3||Olivier Aubin-Mercier||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 231||December 8, 2018||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||13–3||Dan Hooker||KO (punches)||UFC 226||July 7, 2018||1||2:28||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–2||Dan Moret||KO (punches)||UFC on Fox: Poirier vs. Gaethje||April 14, 2018||2||0:59||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||12–2||Jason Saggo||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Branch||September 16, 2017||2||4:55||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Michel Prazeres||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs. Lansberg||September 24, 2016||3||5:00||Brasília, Brazil||Catchweight (158 lbs) bout; Prazeres missed weight.|
|Win||11–1||Łukasz Sajewski||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos vs. Alvarez||July 7, 2016||1||4:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||10–1||Rashid Magomedov||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson 3||November 7, 2015||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||10–0||Alex Oliveira||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Maia vs. LaFlare||March 21, 2015||3||4:14||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||9–0||Christos Giagos||Submission (armbar)||UFC 179||October 25, 2014||1||4:57||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Lightweight debut. Performance of the Night.|
|Win||8–0||Andreas Ståhl||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Lawler vs. Brown||July 26, 2014||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States||Welterweight bout.|
|Win||7–0||Paulo Teixeira||TKO (punches)||Face to Face 7||May 2, 2014||1||1:02||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–0||Paulo Gonçalves||KO (punch)||Coliseu Extreme Fight 8||December 5, 2013||1||4:57||Maceió, Brazil||Catchweight (160 lbs) bout.|
|Win||5–0||Rodolfo Coronel||Submission (armbar)||Mixed Submission and Strike Arts 3||March 25, 2013||1||3:41||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Paulo Roberto||TKO (punches)||CPMMAF - Champion Fights||August 4, 2012||1||1:30||Salvador, Brazil|
|Win||3–0||Vinicius Alves||Technical Submission (rear-naked choke)||Watchout Combat Show 20||July 27, 2012||1||1:59||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Herels dos Santos||Submission (armbar)||Ichigeki Fight Show||June 15, 2012||1||3:30||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||José Salgado||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Crown Fighting Championships 5||January 28, 2012||1||2:40||St. George, Utah, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Lawler vs. Brown". UFC.com. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Fight Card - UFC 179 Aldo vs. Mendes 2". UFC.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Gilbert Burns - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Archived from the original on April 13, 2015. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "BJJ Heroes on Gilbert Burns". bjjheroes.com. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- Mixed martial arts show results Date: May 30, 2020
- "Gilbert "Durinho" Burns | BJJ Heroes". Retrieved 2020-05-31.
- Cruz, Guilherme (2014-08-29). "Herbert Burns wants a fast track to One FC title". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-05-31.
- "Rankings | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2020-06-02.
- "The auto-shop deal that launched UFC 179 fighter Gilbert Burns' MMA career". mmajunkie.com.
- 2 Jiu-Jitsu lessons from TUF Brazil you didn't see on TV graciemag.com (May 21, 2012)
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-05-22). "Gilbert Burns replaces injured Viscardi Andrade at UFC on FOX 12". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-05-22.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-09-09). "RFA champ Christos Giagos signs with the UFC, meets Gilbert Burns in Brazil". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-09-09.
- Staff (2014-10-26). "UFC 179 bonuses: Jose Aldo, Chad Mendes, Fabio Maldonado, Gilbert Burns win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-26.
- Sean Bio (2014-05-09). "Josh Thomson vs. Gilbert Burns slated for UFC Fight Night 62". cagepages.com. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Guilherme Cruz (2015-02-26). "Josh Thomson injured, out of UFC Fight Night 62 co-main event bout against Gilbert Burns". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-02-26.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-03-21). "UFC Fight Night 62 results: Gilbert Burns struggles, but eventually taps Alex Oliveira". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-21.
- "UFC Fight Night 62 bonuses: On card with nine stoppages, who won $50,000?". MMA Junkie. 2015-03-22. Retrieved 2019-10-29.
- Staff (2015-03-31). "Norman Parke says he's fighting Gilbert Burns at UFC Fight Night 67 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-31.
- Lucas Rezende (2015-04-27). "Injury forces Gilbert Burns out of Norman Parke fight; Francisco Trinaldo steps up". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-04-27.
- Lucas Rezende (2015-08-06). "Gilbert Burns vs. Rashid Magomedov set for São Paulo in November". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-08-06.
- Sergey Vashchenko (2015-08-11). "Rashid Magomedov beat Brazilian BJJ World champion". sovsport.ru.
- Staff (2016-05-03). "UFC Fight Night 90 adds number of new bouts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-03.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-07-07). "UFC Fight Night 90 results: Gilbert Burns' armbar gets Lukasz Sajewski to tap with 3 seconds left in first". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- Staff (2016-08-04). "Gilbert Burns vs. Michel Prazeres added to UFC Fight Night 95 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-04.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-09-24). "UFC Fight Night 95 results: Michel Prazeres goes to judges again, sweeps Gilbert Burns". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-24.
- Niall McGrath (2016-12-19). "Paul Felder "super excited" to be fighting close to home against Gilbert Burns at UFC 208". severemma.com. Retrieved 2016-12-19.
- Eric Kowal (2017-01-17). "Gilbert Burns injured, UFC seeking replacement for Paul Felder". mymmanews.com. Retrieved 2017-01-17.
- David Tees (2017-07-23). "Multiple fights added To UFC Fight Night: Pittsburgh". fansided.com. Retrieved 2017-07-23.
- "UFC-Pittsburgh results: Gilbert Burns scores thunderous walk-off KO of Jason Saggo". MMAjunkie. 2017-09-17. Retrieved 2017-09-17.
- Guilherme Cruz (2017-11-02). "Gilbert Burns signs new four-fight deal with the UFC". mmafighting.com.
- "Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Gilbert Burns booked for UFC on FOX 28". MMAjunkie. 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier scratched from UFC on FOX 28". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-02-21.
- DNA, MMA. "Gilbert Burns vecht tegen Lando Vannata tijdens UFC on FOX 29 in Glendale". mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2018-02-23.
- Mookie Alexander (2018-03-18). "Gilbert Burns vs. Lando Vannata not happening at UFC on FOX 29". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "Gilbert Burns faces Octagon newcomer Dan Moret at UFC on FOX 29". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- "UFC on FOX 29 results: Gilbert Burns scores walk-off finish of Dan Moret". MMAjunkie. 2018-04-14. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Gilbert Burns vs. Dan Hooker slated for UFC 226 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie. 2018-05-19. Retrieved 2018-05-19.
- "UFC 226 results: Dan Hooker knocks out Gilbert Burns for fourth straight finish". MMAjunkie. 2018-07-08. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- Staff (2018-08-22). "Gilbert Burns vs. Olivier Aubin-Mercier re-booked for UFC 231 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-08-22.
- Doyle, Dave (2018-12-08). "UFC 231 results: Gilbert Burns cruises to decision over Olivier Aubin-Mercier". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-12-09.
- Raphael Marinho (2019-03-29). "UFC sets Gilbert Durinho vs. Eric Wisely at UFC Fort Lauderdale, April 27" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2019-03-29.
- Marcel Dorff (2019-04-18). "Short notice UFC debut for Mike Davis against Gilbert Burns during UFC Fort Lauderdale" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved 2019-04-19.
- Doherty, Dan (2019-04-27). "UFC Fort Lauderdale Results: Gilbert Burns Utilizes Superior Grappling to Submit Mike Davis". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-04-29.
- DNA, MMA. "Gilbert Burns pakt short notice gevecht tegen Alexey Kunchenko tijdens UFC Montevideo". Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Harshman, Heath (2019-08-10). "UFC Uruguay Results: Gilbert Burns Gives Alexey Kunchenko First Career Loss". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-08-11.
- DNA, MMA. "Gilbert Burns vervangt Thiago Alves tegen Gunnar Nelson tijdens UFC Kopenhagen". Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- Anderson, Jay (2019-09-28). "UFC Copenhagen Results: Gilbert Burns Wins Decision Over Gunnar Nelson". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-09-29.
- Cole, Ross (2020-01-05). "Demian Maia To Fight Gilbert Burns At UFC Fight Night 170". MMA Insight. Retrieved 2020-01-05.
- @GilbertDurinho (January 8, 2020). "Now it's official contract is signed! I'm fighting Demian Maia March 14 Co-main event March 14 in 🇧🇷 and also I renew my contract to 4 more fights thanks @ufc huge thanks to @seanshelby @danawhite and my manager best in the business @AliAbdelaziz00 #BlessedAndGrateful #2020Vision" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Gibbons, Justin (2020-03-14). "UFC Brasilia Results: Gilbert Burns Knocks Out Maia, Calls Out Covington". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-03-15.
- Staff (2020-03-14). "UFC Brasilia Bonuses: Gilbert Burns topples Demian Maia for $50,000". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Tyron Woodley to fight Gilbert Burns at UFC Fight Night on May 30". ESPN. Retrieved 2020-05-19.
- Evanoff, Josh (2020-05-31). "UFC Vegas Results: Gilbert Burns Dominates Tyron Woodley". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-05-31.
- Haynes, Stephie (2020-05-31). "UFC Las Vegas bonuses: Dern's record-setting kneebar wins POTN". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2020-05-31.
- Farah Hannoun (June 9, 2020). "Kamaru Usman vs. Gilbert Burns headlines UFC 251 on 'Fight Island' in Abu Dhabi". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved June 9, 2020.
- Damon Martin (Jne 25, 2020). "Gilbert Burns 'happy' with pay for UFC 251, Jorge Masvidal claims he took 'lowest money possible'". mmafighting.com. Check date values in:
- "Gilbert Burns tests positive for COVID-19, out of UFC 251 headliner vs. Kamaru Usman". MMA Junkie. 2020-07-04. Retrieved 2020-07-04.
- "UFC 179 bonuses: José Aldo, Chad Mendes, Maldonado, Burns earn $50K awards". sherdog.com. 2014-10-25.
- "UFC Fight Night bonuses: Burns, 'Pepey', Souza, Serrano earn $50K awards in Rio". sherdog.com. 2015-03-21.
- Sherdog.com. "Gilbert". Sherdog. Retrieved 2020-05-31.