Gil in the Canadian Rockies
|Occupation||American ecological philosopher|
Gilbert LaFreniere (born 1934 in New York) is an American ecological philosopher, active in the study of geology, ecology, and human impact upon nature. Gilbert attended the University of Massachusetts Amherst and earned a Masters of Geology from Dartmouth College before completing a Ph.D in intellectual history from the University of California at Santa Barbara, (UCSB) in 1976.
LaFreniere taught geology, environmental ethics, and environmental history for more than twenty-five years at Willamette University in Salem, Oregon. He remains an active Professor Emeritus and continues to lecture on the transformation of natural landscapes by man, appearing at Willamette University, Portland State University, and Oregon State University in the last few years. Many of his lectures rely heavily on his own travels and photography of the national parks of Europe, New England, California, the Pacific Northwest, and Canada.
LaFreniere is also a noted scholar of the work and thought of the French philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the Idea of Progress and appears in the Card Catalog of the Rousseau Library in Montmorency, France. Gilbert's most recent book is The Decline of Nature (2008). Among his other publications are the book Jean Jacques Rousseau and the Idea of Progress (1976) and articles in Environmental History Review, Agriculture and Human Values, and The Trumpeter.
- Environmental ethics
- Environmental philosophy
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Natural philosophy
- List of environmental philosophers
- List of historians of science
- "Contact Oak Savanna Publishing Authors, Tina Schweickert, Frank Mauldin, Gilbert F. LaFreniere and Rejeshwari Subramaniam". Archived from the original on 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "CLA Catalog: Campus Information: Faculty: Emeriti Faculty and Administration | Willamette University". willamette.edu. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "Lecture Addresses Ecological Destruction of Western Europe | News & Research Communications | Oregon State University". oregonstate.edu. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "Citations de Jean-Jacques Rousseau dans Dossiers rousseauistes, ressources - Musée Jean-Jacques Rousseau de Montmorency, France". museejjrousseau.montmorency.fr. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- LaFreniere, G.F. (2008). The Decline of Nature: Environmental History and the Western Worldview. Academica Press. ISBN 9781933146515. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- LaFreniere, G.F. (1976). Jean-Jacques Rousseau and the Idea of Progress. University of California, Santa Barbara. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "Oxford Journals | Arts & Humanities | Environmental History Review". envihistrevi.oxfordjournals.org. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "EconPapers: Greenline parks in France: Les Parcs Naturels Régionaux". econpapers.repec.org. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
- "Trumpeter". trumpeter.athabascau.ca. Retrieved 2014-12-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gilbert Lafreniere.|