In 1997, Levin published his conclusion that a 1976 Viking lander had discovered living microorganisms on Mars. He is noted for still claiming that his experiment on board the 1976 Viking Mars landers to detect microscopic life on Mars rendered a true positive result. On 12 April 2012, an international team including Levin reported, based on cluster analysis of the Labeled Release experiments of the Viking program, that may suggest the detection of "extant microbial life on Mars."
- "Dr Gilbert V Levin - Research on Mars". www.gillevin.com.
- Levin, Gilbert V. (October 10, 2019). "I'm Convinced We Found Evidence of Life on Mars in the 1970s". Scientific American. Retrieved November 4, 2019.
- Bianciardi, Giorgio; Miller, Joseph D.; Straat, Patricia Ann; Levin, Gilbert V. (March 2012). "Complexity Analysis of the Viking Labeled Release Experiments". IJASS. 13 (1): 14–26. Bibcode:2012IJASS..13...14B. doi:10.5139/IJASS.2012.13.1.14. Archived from the original on 15 April 2012. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Life on Mars Found by NASA's Viking Mission?
- Spie (2014). "Gilbert Levin: Mars microbes -- proof from the Viking missions?". SPIE.TV on YouTube.
- ICAMSR Advisors, retrieved 2013-7-16
- Richard Stenger Mars sample return plan carries microbial risk, group warns, CNN, November 7, 2000
- A Natural Way to Stay Sweet, NASA, archived from the original on 2005-01-06, retrieved 2009-09-02.
- Gilbert Levin's publications on Mars research: https://asu.academia.edu/GilVLevin
- Johns Hopkins Magazine on Gilbert Levin
- Spherix and Mars Research Papers
- Gilbert Levin Interview, The Space Show, broadcast no. 2203, 2014.
- "Life after Viking: The evidence mounts", written by Gilbert V. Levin, from the book Mars: The Living Planet (Chapter 9)
- Levin, Gilbert (2019-10-10). "I'm Convinced We Found Evidence of Life on Mars in the 1970s". Scientific American Blog Network. Retrieved 2019-10-10.
- Gilbert V. Levin, Ph.D.
- Gilbert V. Levin
- DR. GILBERT V. LEVIN
- Gilbert V. Levin