Gilberto Oliveira Souza Júnior
|Full name||Gilberto Oliveira Souza Júnior|
|Date of birth||5 June 1989|
|Place of birth||Piranhas, Brazil|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2010||→ Vera Cruz (loan)||18||(12)|
|2012||→ Sport (loan)||25||(7)|
|2013||→ Portuguesa (loan)||24||(14)|
|2015||→ Vasco da Gama (loan)||12||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 27 May 2016.
Gilberto was formed in the youth system of Santa Cruz. In 2009, he played in the Under-20 Pernambucano and was top scorer scoring 23 goals. In 2010, he was loaned to Vera Cruz until the end of the Campeonato Pernambucano. Gilberto was a key player in helping Santa Cruz win the 2011 Campeonato Pernambucano, under the command of Zé Teodoro. He finished the competition as second top scorer with 12 goals in 17 matches and was chosen as the best striker in the state Pernambuco, an award organized by Football Federation.
At the end of the Championship Pernambuco, Gilberto was loaned to Internacional, making his debut on May 28, 2011 against the Ceará with a 0-1 defeat. In mid-2012 he was loaned to Sport until May 2013. At Sport he appeared in 25 matches scoring 7 goals. The following season, he was loaned to Portuguesa and had a very productive season with the club scoring 14 goals in 24 matches.
On December 13, 2013, Gilberto joined Toronto FC for a reported transfer fee of over $3 million, choosing MLS after turning down more lucrative offers from Mexico and Germany. Gilberto made his debut with Toronto FC against D.C. United on March 22, 2014, the game ended in a 1-0 home victory. Entering as a substitute against the Columbus Crew on May 31, he recorded an assist on Jermain Defoe's 81st minute equalizer in an eventual 3-2 win to help his team win the Trillium Cup. On June 27, Gilberto scored his first goal for Toronto FC against the New York Red Bulls, lashing in a 72nd minute free-kick to take the lead, eventually settling for a 2-2 away draw.
Vasco da Gama
Due to the arrival of Jozy Altidore, and Sebastian Giovinco in January 2015, both of whom would take up DP slots, after only one season with Toronto, Gilberto was loaned to Brazilian club Vasco da Gama on February 20, 2015.
Vasco de Gama terminated the loan in July 2015, forcing Toronto to release Gilberto. He was claimed off waivers and acquired as a designated player by Chicago Fire on July 27, 2015. Gilberto's contract with Chicago Fire was mutually terminated on June 29, 2016.
On July 15, 2016 Gilberto signed a contract with São Paulo FC until December 2017. On February 12, 2017, Gilberto scored a hat-trick against Ponte Preta, in a 5-2 winning game valid for 2017 Campeonato Paulista.
- Santa Cruz
- Campeonato Pernambucano: 2011
- Campeonato Gaúcho: 2012, 2013
- Vasco da Gama
- "Toronto FC set to spend over $3 million to sign Gilberto". Waking the Red. December 13, 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- "Toronto FC lands Brazilian striker Gilberto". The Globe and Mail. December 13, 2013. Retrieved December 13, 2013.
- Bedakian, Armen (22 March 2014). "Match Recap: TFC 1, D.C. United 0". Toronto FC. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- "Toronto FC beats Columbus to capture Trillium Cup". Toronto Star. 31 May 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "New York Red Bulls 2, Toronto FC 2". mlssoccer.com. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2014.
- "Toronto FC loans Gilberto to CR Vasco da Gama". February 20, 2015.
- "Chicago Fire Acquire Brazilian Forward Gilberto as Designated Player". chicago-fire.com. July 27, 2015.
- "Gilberto assina até 2017 e já treina no CT". saopaulofc.net. July 15, 2016.
- Em estreia de Ceni no Morumbi, São Paulo goleia a Ponte Preta