Giles Blunt is a Canadian novelist, poet, and screenwriter born in 1952 in Windsor, Ontario. His first novel, Cold Eye, was a psychological thriller set in the New York art world, which was made into the French movie Les Couleurs du diable (Allain Jessua, 1997).
He is also the author of the John Cardinal novels, set in the small town of Algonquin Bay, in Northern Ontario. Blunt grew up in North Bay, and Algonquin Bay is North Bay thinly disguised — for example, Blunt retains the names of major streets and the two lakes (Trout Lake and Lake Nipissing) that the town sits between, the physical layout of the two places is the same, and he describes Algonquin Bay as being in the same geographical location as North Bay.
The first Cardinal story, Forty Words for Sorrow, won the British Crime Writers' Association Silver Dagger, and the second, The Delicate Storm, won the Crime Writers of Canada's Arthur Ellis Award for best novel, as did the sixth, "Until the Night." The 2010 John Cardinal novel Crime Machine was described as "a richly plotted work by one of Canada's best mystery novelists."
He also has written No Such Creature, a "road novel" set in the American southwest, and Breaking Lorca, which is set in a clandestine jail in El Salvador in the 1980s. Twice nominated for the Dublin IMPAC award, his novels have been compared to the work of Ian Rankin and Cormac McCarthy.
- 1989 Cold Eye Avon Books, US & Canada (paperback) ISBN 0-380-70876-0
- 2000 Forty Words for Sorrow Random House Canada ISBN 0-425-18516-8 (John Cardinal series)
- 2002 The Delicate Storm Random House Canada ISBN 0-425-19678-X (John Cardinal series)
- 2005 Black Fly Season Random House Canada ISBN 0-425-20957-1 (John Cardinal series)
- 2006 By the Time You Read This Random House Canada ISBN 0-679-31244-7 (also published as The Fields of Grief; John Cardinal series)
- 2008 No Such Creature Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-679-31431-8
- 2009 Breaking Lorca Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-307-35700-7
- 2010 Crime Machine Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-679-31433-2 (John Cardinal series)
- 2012 Until the Night Random House Canada ISBN 978-0679314356 (John Cardinal series)
- 2015 The Hesitation Cut Random House Canada ISBN 978-0-345-81597-2
- 2016 Vanishing Act Exile Editions ISBN 978-1-55096-583-4 (poems)
- Cannon, Margaret (December 18, 2010). "Margaret Cannon's Deathly Dozen for 2010". The Globe and Mail. Toronto. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- "The 2011 Award". International Dublin Literary Award. 2011. Archived from the original on September 26, 2011.
- O'Keefe, Catherine (December 5, 2006). "Review: The Detective John Cardinal Mystery Series". Seven Oaks. Archived from the original on July 16, 2011. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- National Post, November 28, 2008.
- "Cardinal renewed for a fourth series". The Killing Times. 2018-06-08. Retrieved 2018-07-29.
- "Nipissing announces 2014 honorary degrees". Nipissing University. June 4, 2014. Archived from the original on June 17, 2017. Retrieved July 4, 2017.