Giles Brydges, 3rd Baron Chandos
He was born at Sudeley Manor, Gloucestershire, the son of Edmund Brydges, 2nd Baron Chandos and his wife Hon. Dorothy Bray. Brydges was Member of Parliament for Cricklade in 1571 and for Gloucestershire from 1572 to 1573. He succeeded his father as 3rd Baron Chandos of Sudeley on 11 March 1573, and held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of Gloucestershire in 1586. He entertained Queen Elizabeth at Sudeley Castle in 1592.
Chandos died on 21 February 1594 without male issue and was therefore succeeded by his brother William who became the fourth Baron Chandos of Sudeley. He is buried in the Chapel of St. Mary at Sudeley Castle in Winchcombe, England.
He married Lady Frances Clinton (Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, 1553 - Woburn Abbey, Bedfordshire, 12 September 1623), daughter of Edward Clinton, 1st Earl of Lincoln and his second wife Ursula Stourton before 1573. According to Joan Barbara Greenbaum Goldsmith's unpublished PhD dissertation, All the Queen's Women: the changing place and perception of aristocratic women in Elizabethan England, 1558-1620, Frances and her husband separated during the 1590s. She died at Woburn Abbey, home of her daughter Catherine, Countess of Bedford.
- Hon. Elizabeth Brydges (c. 1578–1617), Maid of Honour to Elizabeth I, married Sir John Kennedy. She died without issue.
- Hon. Catherine Brydges (c. 1580–1656/7), married Francis Russell, 4th Earl of Bedford and had issue.
- John Brydges, died young.
- Charles Brydges, died young.
- Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume III, page 126-7.
"Giles Brydges, 3rd Baron Chandos of Sudeley", The Peerage, 6 January 2007
- Kathy Lynn Emerson. Wives and Daughters: The Women of Sixteenth Century England, Whitston Publishing Company (June 1984).
- Bruce Harrison. The Family Forest Descendants of Lady Joan Beaufort, Millisecond Publishing Company, Inc. p. 238.
- Hearn 1995, p. 114
- Hearn, Karen, ed. Dynasties: Painting in Tudor and Jacobean England 1530-1630. New York: Rizzoli, 1995. ISBN 0-8478-1940-X.
- "Giles Brydges, 3rd Baron Chandos of Sudeley". The Peerage. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "TudorPlace.com". Retrieved 12 April 2009.[unreliable source]
|Parliament of England|
Nicholas St. John
|Member of Parliament for Cricklade
With: Sir Nicholas Arnold
|Unknown||Member of Parliament for Gloucestershire
The 2nd Lord Chandos
|Lord Lieutenant of Gloucestershire
The 4th Lord Chandos
|Peerage of England|