Gilles Latulippe (31 August 1937 – 23 September 2014) was a Québécois actor, comedian and theatre director and manager. Latulippe was a central figure in the history of comic theatre in Quebec. In 1998, he was named Quebec's favourite actor by the daily tabloid Le Journal de Montréal.
He was born in Montreal. In the late 1950s, Latulippe joined Yvon Deschamps and studied theatre under François Rozet. He met Paul Buissonneau who offered him his first roles. He was noticed by Gratien Gélinas who gave him a part in Bousille et les justes in 1959. During the 1960s, Latulippe became a star of the cabaret and comic theatre scene in Montreal while beginning a successful television career. In 1967, he founded the Théâtre des Variétés of Montreal, which was filled by happy spectators for 7000 performances. The Variétés was run without any government subsidy for 33 years and closed in 2000. Latulippe remained very active in his last years.
Latulippe was the recipient of many honours over his career. He won a number of Prix Gémeaux and MetroStar Awards for his work in television, including a lifetime achievement award at the 2007 Prix Gémeaux. He was also a member of the Order of Canada (2003), a knight of the National Order of Quebec (2009) and a knight of the Order of La Pléiade (2000). He died of lung cancer in 2014. Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre stated that flags at city hall would be flown at half mast, and that Latulippe will lie in state there.
- "Latulippe, Gilles". Canadian Theatre Encyclopedia. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- "Biographie" (in French). Gilles Latulippe fan site. Retrieved 14 August 2010.
- "Gilles Latulippe". Order of Canada. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Gilles Latulippe". National Order of Quebec. Archived from the original on 26 June 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Notice of death, ici.radio-canada.ca; accessed 24 September 2014. (French)
- Notice of death of Latulippe, theglobeandmail.com; accessed 24 September 2014. (French)]
|This Quebec biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|