Robespierre in 2014
June 29, 1978|
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Education||School of Visual Arts (BA)|
|Occupation||Filmmaker, writer, director, producer, actress|
|Known for||Obvious Child|
In 2009 Robespierre co-wrote (with Anna Bean and Karen Maine) and directed the short film Obvious Child, about a young woman who is impregnated after a one-night stand and decides to have an abortion. Robespierre approached Jenny Slate to star in the lead role after seeing her perform at a comedy club.
Robespierre later expanded the short into her 2014 feature film debut Obvious Child with Slate once again playing the lead role. The film premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival where it was acquired by A24 Films.
Robespierre's second film, Landline, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 20, 2017, followed by a theatrical release on July 21, 2017. The film stars Jenny Slate, Abby Quinn, Edie Falco, John Turturro and Jay Duplass.
|2014||Obvious Child||Writer, Director, Producer|
|2009||Obvious Child||Writer, Director, Producer||(Short)|
- "Gillian M Robespierre". FamilySearch.
- "Meet the 2014 Sundance Filmmakers #38: Gillian Robespierre Delivers Raw Honesty and Humor in 'Obvious Child'". IndieWire. January 16, 2014.
- Grimaldi, James (Fall 2014). "What's in Store". Visual Arts Journal. p. 13
- ARELLANO, JENNIFER. "INSIDE DIRECTOR GILLIAN ROBESPIERRE'S ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT WARDROBE". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- Johnson, Kjerstin. "New short film is cute, quirky, and candid. And it's about abortion". Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- Stanhope, Kate. "It's Official: Jenny Slate to Star in FX Comedy Pilot From 'Obvious Child' Team". Retrieved 27 April 2015.