Gillingham railway station (Kent)
|Local authority||Borough of Medway|
|Number of platforms||3|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|– Interchange||0.322 million|
|– Interchange||0.298 million|
|– Interchange||0.355 million|
|– Interchange||0.183 million|
|– Interchange||0.313 million|
|July 1858||Opened as New Brompton|
|May 1886||Renamed New Brompton (Gillingham)|
|1 Oct 1912||Renamed Gillingham|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Gillingham from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Gillingham railway station is on the Chatham Main Line in England, serving the town of Gillingham, Kent. It is 35 miles 75 chains (57.8 km) down the line from London Victoria and is situated between Chatham and Rainham.
The station first opened in 1858. It currently has three platforms (two for London-bound services and one for country-bound services) and a passenger lift from the station entrance to the platforms.
The station underwent an extensive facelift between 2010 and 2012. This included a new entrance, better pavements, new roof, refurbished waiting rooms, and new cycle storage units.
London bound services from Gillingham terminate at London Victoria via Rochester, the line through Meopham and Bromley South; London Charing Cross via Gravesend, Dartford and the North Kent Lines; and London St Pancras via Ebbsfleet International.
Trains from London Charing Cross generally terminate on platform 1 and either then continue eastbound to Gillingham Rail Depot or then become London bound services to Charing Cross. Through trains from the east run from Platform 2. Trains from platform 3 (far left) usually go to Ramsgate or Dover.
The May 2016 off-peak service from the station in trains per hour is:
- 2 tph to London St Pancras via Gravesend and Ebbsfleet International (High Speed)
- 1 tph to London St Pancras via Faversham, Ramsgate, Deal, Dover Priory and Ashford International (High Speed)
- 1 tph to Faversham (High Speed)
- 3 tph to London Victoria via Bromley South with 1 tph stopping at Denmark Hill (Main Line)
- 2 tph to Dover Priory via Canterbury East (Main Line)
- 1 tph to Ramsgate via Faversham and Margate (Main Line)
- 2 tph to London Charing Cross via Dartford and Woolwich Arsenal starting here (Metro)
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
North Kent Line
Chatham Main Line
High Speed 1
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Table 212 National Rail timetable, May 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gillingham (Kent) railway station.|