Gillingham and Rainham (UK Parliament constituency)
|Gillingham and Rainham|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Gillingham and Rainham in Kent for the 2010 general election
Location of Kent within England
|Electorate||71,109 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Gillingham, Rainham, Hempstead, Twydall|
|Member of Parliament||Rehman Chishti (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
Gillingham and Rainham is a constituency[n 1] in Kent represented in the House of Commons of the UK Parliament since its 2010 creation by Rehman Chishti, a Conservative.[n 2] It replaced the previous constituency of Gillingham.
The seat has electoral wards:
- Gillingham North, Gillingham South, Hempstead and Wigmore, Rainham Central, Rainham North, Rainham South, Twydall and Watling in Medway, a unitary authority
The constituency is centred on the large town, historically a small port, convenient for access to the City of London, within the London Commuter Belt and adjoining the touristic town of Rochester which has a Cathedral and Castle. Local retail, industry, business parks, trades and professions provide constituents with a high level of employment mostly on moderate to middle incomes, however the area is not wholly resilient to unemployment. Registered claimants who were registered jobseekers were marginally lower than the national average of 3.8%, at 3.5% of the population according to a statistical compilation by The Guardian.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Paul Chaplin||1,372||2.8||-0.8|
|Christian Peoples||Roger Peacock||127||0.3||+0.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Paul Chaplin||1,707||3.6||-14.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Andrew Stamp||8,484||18.1||+2.8|
|English Democrat||Dean Lacey||464||1.0||N/A|
|Medway Independent Party||George Meegan||109||0.2||N/A|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.3|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Local statistics - Office for National Statistics". www.ons.gov.uk.
- Unemployment claimants by constituency The Guardian
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "G" (part 1)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "MORE TUSC CANDIDATES IN PLACE AS ELECTION CHALLENGE GROWS". www.tusc.org.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament