|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
To develop the competence to see and the courage to act in creating a more humane and just society.
|34001 Cedar Road
Gates Mills, Ohio 44040
|Head of School||Kathleen Kenny|
|Faculty||70.1 (on a FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||Total: 685 (including 42 PK students) (2013-14)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9.2|
|Campus||Suburban, 144 acres (0.58 km2)|
|Color(s)||Blue & Grey|
Gilmour Academy is an independent, Roman Catholic, coeducational, college-preparatory day and boarding school in the Cleveland suburb of Gates Mills, Ohio. Founded in 1946 by the Brothers of Holy Cross, it offers a Montessori preschool program through grade 12. A boarding program is available to students in grades 7–12. Gilmour Academy is chartered through the state of Ohio; accredited through the Independent School Association of Central States (ISCACS) and a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), the Ohio Association of Independent Schools (OAIS), and the Coalition of Essential Schools (CES).
Gilmour's 144-acre (0.58 km2) campus has experienced significant growth and expansion in recent years. The Lynn and Michael Kelley Middle School and Fine Arts Building houses a Broadcast Media Center where students can learn and practice with digital media technology. The chapel serves as a venue for liturgical events and student convocation. Gilmour’s Athletic Center houses two NHL-sized ice rinks and a fitness center. New artificial turf was installed in 2004 in a multiple-use field for football, soccer, and lacrosse. In 1989 a new gymnasium and aquatic center complete with new locker rooms were completed.
Gilmour Academy was founded in 1946 when a group of Brothers of Holy Cross from the University of Notre Dame, Indiana began a select boarding school which was named in honor of Bishop Richard Gilmour, the second Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland and a champion of Catholic education. The school opened in 1946 with a faculty of nine Brothers and an initial enrollment of 45 eighth and ninth grade boys. The following year, the school shifted to a four-year curriculum. Gilmour added its Middle School in 1973. In 1982, Gilmour merged with Glen Oak School, making it a coeducational institution. The Lower School and Montessori preschool program were established in 1995. In the fall of 2013, the Montessori program was expanded to include students 18-months to age 9.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Gilmour maintains a boarding program for students in grades 7–12. Gilmour has resident students from both the United States and various other countries around the world such as Canada, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden, Taiwan, China, Spain, and India. The residence program includes supervised study hall, chaperoned activities, and personal advising and mentoring.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Boys Golf – 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 2010
- Boys Track and Field – 1971
- Girls Track and Field – 2005, 2006, 2007*, 2009
- Girls Cross country – 2006
- Girls Volleyball - 2015
- * tie
- Gary Cohn, President/COO of Goldman, Sachs & Co.
- Matthew J. Dolan, former Ohio State Representative
- Paul Dolan , chairman/CEO of the Cleveland Indians Major League Baseball organization
- Ray Gricar, former District Attorney of Centre County, Pennsylvania
- Douglas Kenney, writer, actor, and producer; best known for writing Caddyshack and National Lampoon's Animal House and co-founding National Lampoon (magazine)
- Russell Potter, professor of English at Rhode Island College and author of Arctic Spectacles: The Frozen North in Visual Culture
- Phoebe Robinson, comedian, actress, podcaster, and author of You Can't Touch My Hair (And Other Things I Still Have to Explain)
- Art Rooney II, president of the Pittsburgh Steelers National Football League organization
- Barbara Romer, film producer
- Andy Selfridge, linebacker for the Buffalo Bills, New York Giants, and Miami Dolphins National Football League organizations
- Steve Skrovan, television writer (Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond)
- John W. Snow, 73rd United States Secretary of the Treasury
- Brian Stepanek, film/television actor (The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, Brian O'Brian)
- "Search for Private Schools - School Details for Gilmour Academy". nces.ed.gov. US Department of Education. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.