The station building at Gilroy.
|Location||7150 Monterey Street
Gilroy, California, 95020
|Owned by||Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Bicycle facilities||Lockers available|
|Fare zone||Fare zone 6|
|Passengers (2014)||140 per weekday 8.7%|
Gilroy is a Caltrain station located in Gilroy, California. It is the southernmost terminus on the Caltrain line, and is only served during commute hours on weekdays. It is located in Fare Zone 6. Gilroy is a former Southern Pacific Railroad depot that was adopted by the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board. Amtrak's Coast Starlight passes through Gilroy between Salinas and San Jose Diridon, but does not stop.
Platforms and tracks
|Mainline track||■ Coast Starlight||No stops|
|Caltrain||■ Local service||toward San Francisco, peak hours only (San Martin)|
|■ Limited-stop service||toward San Francisco, peak hours only (San Martin)|
Once every year, Caltrain operated a special limited-stop train from San Francisco to Gilroy that operated during the weekend of the Gilroy Garlic Festival in Christmas Hill Park. Shuttle buses would take passengers from the Caltrain station to the festival. This service was suspended when Caltrain began their CTX project in 2002, temporarily suspending all weekend train service on the route to upgrade tracks between San Francisco and San Jose stations for Baby Bullet service. When weekend service resumed in 2004, Caltrain opted to end the annual Garlic Train. The Golden Gate Railroad Museum chartered weekend trains to Gilroy during the festival for a few years, but those charters were later discontinued. Caltrain announced that the "Garlic Train" would resume service for the 2013 Garlic Festival.
California High Speed Rail
- Caltrain. "February 2014 Caltrain Annual Passenger Counts" (PDF). Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- Existing Railroad Stations in Santa Clara County, California
- Cohen, Gail. "How to Prepare for the Gilroy Garlic Festival". USA Today. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "Garlic Train to roll to @gilroygarlicfes July 27 & 28. #yum". Official Caltrain news Twitter feed. Caltrain. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Press Release (July 23, 2014) "California High-Speed Rail Authority Awards Station-Area Planning Funds to the City of Gilroy" California High-Speed Rail Authority