Gimnasia y Esgrima de Mendoza
|Full name||Club Gimnasia y Esgrima|
|Nickname(s)||Lobo mendocino, Mensana, Blanquinegro,|
|Founded||30 August 1908|
|League||Primera B Nacional|
Club Gimnasia y Esgrima (usually known as Gimnasia y Esgrima de Mendoza) is an Argentine football club located in the city of Mendoza. Its first division team currently plays in the Primera B Nacional, the second division of the Argentine football league system.
The club was founded in 1890 as "Club de Esgrima" (fencing) being Dr. Carlos Ponce its first president. In 1893 a group of members came up with new ideas, proposing to encourage the practice of other sports, mainly basque pelota. Therefore, the club was renamed "Club de Pelota". In 1894 the club leaders acquired a land in Mendoza.
In 1902, several departments were created, including the football section. For that purpose the club asked the Government of Mendoza a land in Parque General San Martín, which gave 5 hectares. That same year the club changed its name to "Club Social de Gimnasia y Esgrima", creating two divisions: one of them taking over sports such as gymnastics, martial arts, fencing among others. The other division focused on football only. The
In 1910 the club toured outside the Province for the first time, playing a match against Club Atlético Sanjuanino in San Juan province. Gimnasia y Esgrima won the match by 2–0.
In 1917 Gimnasia y Esgrima played other friendly matches in Córdoba Province previously to arrive to Buenos Aires in 1921, when played Huracán and Boca Juniors. In 1922 Gimnasia was the first team to win the Mendoza Regional league tournament. One year later, Gimnasia y Esgrima crowned champion again, being the first club of Mendoza to win two consecutive championships. The squad won a playoff game against Independiente Rivadavia after both teams finished in the first place at the end of the season.
The squad would win the league again in 1931 and 1933. One year later, the Lobo inaugurated the first stadium in Mendoza Province, playing a friendly match against Gimnasia y Esgrima de Santa Fe. The match finished in a 2–2 draw. Gimnasia y Esgrima won new regional titles in 1937 and 1939.
- Torneo Federal A (1): 2014
- Torneo Regional (9): 1970, 1971, 1972, 1975, 1978, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984 
- Torneo Argentino B (2): 2005–06, 2013–14
- Liga Mendocina de Fútbol:
- First Division (20): 1922, 1923, 1931, 1933, 1937, 1939, 1949, 1952, 1964, 1969, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1991, 1997–98, 2001 
- Second Division (2): 2010, 2012
- Copa Competencia (3): 1923, 1933, 1938
- "El Lobo mendocino puso primera con seis caras nuevas" on Diario Uno
- "Cónclave Mensana" on Mendoza Gol, 29 Dic 2010
- "El mejor debut fue blanquinegro" on Diario Uno
- "Y así nació nuestro club" on official website
- "El primer clásico entre Independiente y Gimnasia fue en 1913" on Diario Uno
- Argentina – Mendoza 1923 on RSSSF
- Argentina – Torneo del Interior
- Argentina – Mendoza at RSSSF