Ginifer railway station
|PTV commuter rail station|
|Location||St Albans Road,|
St Albans, Victoria 3021
City of Brimbank
|Operated by||Metro Trains|
|Distance||16.19 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||31 October 1982|
|Rebuilt||1 November 2016|
(Level Crossing Removal Project)
|Electrified||1500 V DC overhead|
|Previous names||Furlong (During Construction)|
The station was first announced in June 1977, by the then transport minister, Joe Rafferty, and was originally scheduled for completion by late 1978. Originally to be named Furlong, after the nearby arterial road, when opened it was named Ginifer, in honour of Jack Ginifer, a former local member of State Parliament.
In June 2015, the Level Crossing Removal Authority announced that the Furlong Road level crossing would be removed by grade separation, with Ginifer to be rebuilt below ground. Boom barriers had been installed at the level crossing in 1984.
The level crossing was removed during October-November 2016, with the station reopening on 1 November of the same year.
Platforms and services
- Flinders Street all stations and limited stops services to
- 408 : St Albans station – Highpoint Shopping Centre
- 423 : St Albans station – Brimbank Central Shopping Centre
- Ginifer Vicsig
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1977. p. 227.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. July 1994. p. 218.
- Willingham, Richard (24 June 2015). "Three suburban train stations to be rebuilt underground: St Albans, Ginifer and Heatherdale". The Age. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- "Facilitating the removal of Furlong Road level crossing". Brimbank City Council. 4 June 2015. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- VR History by Andrew Waugh
- St Albans level crossings gone! - Level Crossing Removal Project
- "Sunbury Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "408 St Albans Station - Highpoint SC via Sunshine Station". Public Transport Victoria.
- "423 St Albans Station - Brimbank Central SC via Cairnlea". Public Transport Victoria.