Goodwin at the 2012 San Diego Comic-Con International.
|Born||Jennifer Michelle Goodwin
May 22, 1978
Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
|Alma mater||Boston University|
|Spouse(s)||Josh Dallas (m. 2014)|
She is best known for her role as Margene Heffman on Big Love, and for her roles in films like Mona Lisa Smile, Something Borrowed, Walk the Line, and He's Just Not That Into You. She stars as Mary Margaret Blanchard/Snow White in the ABC series Once Upon a Time.
Goodwin was born in Memphis, Tennessee. Her mother, Linda (née Kantor), is a former educator and "stay-at-home mom" who later worked for FedEx and Apple. Her father, Tim Goodwin, formerly owned and operated a recording studio. Goodwin changed her name from "Jennifer" to "Ginnifer" to distinguish her name, and to assist in pronunciation of her name in her regional dialect. Her younger sister, Melissa Goodwin, is a stop motion animator on shows such as Robot Chicken, on which Ginnifer has also appeared as voice talent.
Her mother is Jewish and her father is of Welsh descent. Goodwin was raised attending synagogue on Saturdays and Unitarian church on Sundays. She was both baptized and had a bat mitzvah service. In her youth, Goodwin was affiliated with the North American Federation of Temple Youth, and was active in BBYO at the Jewish Community Center in Memphis. She went to school at St. Mary's Episcopal School in Memphis, Tennessee. She then graduated from Lausanne Collegiate School in 1996, then attended Hanover College (majoring in Theater) for one year before moving on to earn her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Boston University. While a student at BU, she performed in numerous student short films, as well as several college and local stage productions. Goodwin was given the "Excellence in Acting: Professional Promise Award" by the Bette Davis Foundation, and graduated with honors. After her time at Boston University, she studied in England at Stratford Upon-Avon’s Shakespeare Institute, in conjunction with the Royal Shakespeare Company. The following year she earned an "Acting Shakespeare Certificate" at London’s Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
Goodwin first had roles in the popular NBC television programs Law & Order and Ed before appearing in the Comedy Central television movie Porn 'n Chicken. She later had substantial roles in the films Mona Lisa Smile, Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!, Walk the Line—in which she portrayed Vivian Liberto, Johnny Cash's first wife—and Birds of America. She also played Dori Dumchovic in the dark comedy Love Comes to the Executioner. Goodwin played a leading role as Margene Heffman, the third wife in a polygamous family, on the HBO original series Big Love, which concluded on March 20, 2011. Goodwin has recurring voice roles in the Cartoon Network show Robot Chicken, the animation of which her younger sister Melissa Goodwin is involved.
In 2008, Max Mara honored Goodwin with a "Face of the Future" award, an award recognizing up and coming women in film. Also, Goodwin was one of the celebrities featured in Gap's Fall 2008 ad campaign.
Goodwin starred as Gigi in He's Just Not That into You, which was released in February 2009. For this role, she received a nomination for the People's Choice Award for Breakout Movie Actress. In April 2009 she began filming Ramona and Beezus (playing "Aunt Bea").
Since 2011, Goodwin has played a leading role in the ABC fantasy drama series Once Upon a Time. She plays both the fairy tale heroine Snow White and her real world counterpart, schoolteacher Mary Margaret Blanchard.
Goodwin dated actor Chris Klein for two years before breaking up in 2008. She later started dating actor Joey Kern and they became engaged in December 2010. They ended the engagement in May 2011. Goodwin subsequently began dating her Once Upon a Time co-star Josh Dallas in fall 2011. Goodwin and Dallas became engaged in October 2013, and married on April 12, 2014 in California. They have one child, a son, Oliver, born in May 2014. In November 2015, the couple's representative announced the two were expecting their second child.
Goodwin was a vegan and was a spokesperson for Farm Sanctuary's Adopt-A-Turkey Project in 2009, having adopted a whole flock herself. She revealed on Jimmy Kimmel that she gave up being a vegan after experiencing undisclosed health issues. She said: "I'm always learning and growing and changing and there were some boring health issues, and so I did actually have to work some animal products back into my diet." Goodwin says although she's never had a "dramatic weight problem", she uses Weight Watchers to keep her indulgences in check. She considers herself an extremely healthy person, and balances her diet with ballet classes and cardio workouts.
In 2013, Goodwin said that, after she left Memphis, she "...up and left Judaism for a very long time," and that, "For 10 years, there was nothing. No ritual. No tradition. No community." She later reconnected with her faith, and has said, "I was a Jew by birth, and now I'm a Jew by choice."
|2000||Zelda: An Extrospective Journey||Zelda||Short film|
|2003||Mona Lisa Smile||Constance "Connie" Baker|
|2004||Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!||Cathy Feely|
|2005||Walk the Line||Vivian Liberto|
|2006||Love Comes to the Executioner||Dori Dumchovic|
|2007||In the Land of Women||Janey|
|2007||Day Zero||Molly Rifkin|
|2008||Birds of America||Ida Tanager|
|2009||He's Just Not That Into You||Gigi Phillips|
|2009||Single Man, AA Single Man||Mrs. Strunk|
|2010||Ramona and Beezus||Aunt "Bea" Beatrice|
|2011||Take Me Home Tonight||Banky|
|2011||Something Borrowed||Rachel White|
|2015||Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast||Fawn||Voice role
Replaces Angela Bartys
|2016||Zootopia||Judy Hopps||Voice role
|2001||Law & Order||Erica||Episode: "Myth of Fingerprints"|
|2001–04||Ed||Diane Snyder||25 episodes|
|2002||Porn 'n Chicken||Maya||Television film|
|2005–07||Robot Chicken||Various (voice)||7 episodes|
|2006–11||Big Love||Margene Heffman||53 episodes|
|2007||Big Love: In the Beginning||Margene Heffman||2 episodes|
|2009||Crappy Holidays Presents...||Episode: "Crappy Easter"|
|2011||SpongeBob SquarePants||Purple Haired Mermaid (Voice)||Episode: "Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle"|
|2011||Margene's Blog||Margene Henrickson||Episode: "Crush Story"|
|2011–present||Once Upon a Time||Mary Margaret Blanchard / Snow White||Lead role|
|2012||Electric City||Jean Marie St. Cloud||20 episodes|
|2013||Killing Kennedy||Jacqueline Kennedy||Television film|
|2014||Sofia the First||Gwen||Voice
Episode: "Gizmo Gwen"
|2015||Who Do You Think You Are?||Herself||Documentary series
Episode: "Ginnifer Goodwin"
|2015||Disney Infinity 3.0||Judy Hopps|||
Awards and nominations
|2010||People's Choice Award||Favorite Breakout Movie Actress||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Award||Choice Movie Actress: Romantic Comedy||Something Borrowed||Nominated|
|2012||Teen Choice Award||Choice TV Actress: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
|2013||Teen Choice Award||Choice TV Actress: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
|2013||People's Choice Award||Favorite Dramatic TV Actress||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
|2014||People's Choice Award||Favorite Dramatic TV Actress||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Award||Choice TV Actress: Fantasy/Sci-Fi||Once Upon a Time||Nominated|
- "Ginnifer Goodwin". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on 2015-09-05. Retrieved 2014-04-13.
- "Ginnifer Goodwin Biography - Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. 1978-05-22. Archived from the original on June 4, 2011. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- Pellettieri, Courtney (May 2010). "Meals My Mother Taught Me". InStyle (Time Inc.) 17 (5): 324–325.
- Bloom, Nate. "Interfaith Celebrities: Ginnifer Goodwin Re-Discovers Judaism; R". InterfaithFamily. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Stated by Goodwin on the Late Show with David Letterman, Wednesday, March 18, 2009
- Waters, David (2013-05-25). "Ginnifer Goodwin comes ‘home’ to Jewish faith". Faith in Memphis. Retrieved 2014-01-27.
- Ginnifer Goodwin. W Magazine. Retrieved on 2014-06-05.
- "Jews in the Limelight". Generationj.com. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Barbaverde123 (15 August 2006). "Love Comes to the Executioner (2006)". IMDb.
- Leisa Barnett (2008-06-19). "Ginnifer Goodwin wins MaxMara award (Vogue.com UK)". Vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Ginnifer Goodwin For Gap Hollyscoop". Style.hollyscoop.com. 2008-04-17. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "2010 People's Choice Award Nominees Revealed; Neil Patrick Harris, Hugh Jackman & Green Day Honored". BWW News Desk. November 10, 2009.
- Lucas, Anthony J. (March 4, 2009). "Today's new movie announcements.".
- "Once Upon a Time's Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin & Co. on Their Literal "Dream" Project" from TV Line (July 25, 2011)
- "Ginnifer Goodwin Joins Jason Bateman in Disney Animation's 'Zootopia' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter (The Hollywood Reporter ). May 6, 2015. Retrieved May 6, 2015.
- Ginnifer Goodwin and Chris Klein Call It Quits - Breakups. People.com. Retrieved on 2014-06-05.
- Zuckerman, Blaine (December 24, 2010). "Ginnifer Goodwin Is Engaged!". People. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Zuckerman, Blaine (May 20, 2011). "Ginnifer Goodwin and Fiancé Break Up". People. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Johnson, Zach. "Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas Make Red Carpet Debut as a Couple!". UsMagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- Jordan, Julie (October 11, 2013). "Ginnifer Goodwin Engaged to Josh Dallas". People. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Michaud, Sarah (April 13, 2014). "Ginnifer Goodwin Marries Josh Dallas". People. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- Jordan, Julie (May 30, 2014). "Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas Are Parents of Baby Boy". People. Retrieved May 30, 2014.
- Park, Andrea; Jordan, Julie (November 17, 2015). "Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin Expecting Second Child". People. Retrieved November 17, 2015.
- "Adopt-A-Turkey Project". adoptaturkey.org. 2007-07-25. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- Mike Larkin (2012-01-13). "Is she giving you fashion tips? Ginnifer Goodwin shows off her granny chic as she chats with older lady | Mail Online". London: dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Ginnifer Goodwin on Weight Watchers Since She Was Nine". Fox News. 2010-12-22. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Joyce Chen (2012-01-13). "'Big Love' star Ginnifer Goodwin: I've been on Weight Watchers since I was 9". Daily News (New York). Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Avalanche Software. Disney Infinity 3.0. Scene: Closing credits, 5:29 in, Featuring the Voice Talents of.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ginnifer Goodwin.|