Giorgi Bagrationi (born 2011)
|Born||27 September 2011|
|Religion||Georgian Orthodox Church|
Giorgi Bagrationi (Georgian: გიორგი ბაგრატიონი; (born 27 September 2011), is a Georgian prince of the Bagrationi dynasty which reigned until the early 19th century in Georgia and its successive realms.
Born in Spain, Giorgi is the only child of Prince David Bagration-Mukhrani and Princess Anna Bagration-Gruzinsky, born to their (only) civil marriage in 2010 (their religious marriage had been contracted in February 2009 and was dissolved in August 2009). He potentially unites in his person the claims of the Mukhraneli and Gruzinsky branches of the House of Bagration to the former throne of the Kingdom of Georgia. If no other Bagrationi prince is born in either the Gruzinsky or Mukhraneli branch who is of senior descent in the male line, and he survives those now living, he will become the genealogical heir male of the Bagrationi dynasty as well as the heir general of Georgia's last monarch, King George XII. He is also the direct descendant of Mirian III of Iberia, the first Christian king of Georgia.
Since the divorce of Giorgi's parents he has been pictured in attendance at several civic and religious events with his father. On 2 April 2016 Giorgi, accompanying Prince David, visited and was photographed in Tbilisi with the Catholicos-Patriarch of All Georgia Ilia II, who had christened him.
Nugzar has demanded that David sign a written agreement recognizing Nugzar and the Gruzinsky branch as the sole rightful heirs to the Georgian throne and to the legacy of the Georgian kings.
Giorgi's christening was held on 3 November 2013 by Patriarch Ilia II, primate of the Georgian Orthodox Church, in Svetitskhoveli Cathedral in Mtskheta. His godfathers are the patriarch himself, his uncles Irakli and Ugo, Levan Vasadze, said to be closely associated with ex-Prime Minister Bidzina Ivanishvili and the President Giorgi Margvelashvili, and Mikheil Akhvlediani, the honorary consul of Spain. Government ministers Irakli Alasania and Nodar Khaduri were also present during the ceremony as well as guests from Russia, Serbia, Spain, Portugal, Italy, United States, Austria and Romania.
Today is a happy day, today is a historical day. Prince Giorgi was christened in this Holy Temple, where are his ancestors. Such royal christening has not been since 1801 and thanks to the Lord, the Lord gave the power to his people for this.
Batonishvili Giorgi is the direct descendant of the last king of united Georgia, George VIII and the last king of Kartli-Kakheti George XII through his mother's side and we have a big hope that he will get the royal dignity from his mother in the future.
Giorgi's godfather Mr Levan Vasadze made a statement after his christening:
Congratulations to everyone, today is a historic day. Our hearts are full of joy, our nation, our country celebrates the restoration of its statehood, restoration of the autocephaly of our church and now we have a solid foundation for the restoration of a constitutional monarchy. It is a great honor for me to be a godfather of Batonishvili Giorgi.
- Grand Collar of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia and the Seamless Tunic of Our Lord Jesus Christ (at birth).
- Grand Cross of the Order of the Royal Order of the Crown of the Georgia Kingdom (27 September 2013).
- Honorary Inspector of the Spanish police.
- (in Georgian) დაიბადა გიორგი ბაგრატიონ-ბაგრატიონი კვირის პალიტრა
- (in Georgian) დავით და ანა ბაგრატიონებს მემკვიდრე-გიორგი ბაგრატიონი შეეძინათ Archived 2013-10-04 at the Wayback Machine გეო ნიუსი
- (in Russian) Родился наследник Грузинского престола Русская народная линия
- (in Russian) В Грузии родился наследник царского престола Кавказ Online
- (in Russian) В Грузии родился Георгии Багратион-Багратиони Наша эпоха
- The Royal House of Georgia. Royal Birth of Bagrationi family Archived November 5, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- Giorgi Bagration-Bagrationi Has Arrived Archived 2018-09-07 at the Wayback Machine Georgian Journal
- "Birth of a new heir!". IDTG. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- The Royal House of Georgia. Crown Prince Davit of Georgia and his Heir. 2 April 2016. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
- (in Georgian) ახალშობილ მუხრან ბატონს ბაბუა ტახტის მემკვიდრედ არ აღიარებს Tabula Magazine
- (in Georgian) ნუგზარ ბაგრატიონ-გრუზინსკი თვენახევრის შვილიშვილს-გიორგი ბაგრატიონ-მუხრანელს სამეფო ტახტის მემკვიდრედ არ აღიარებს Archived 2013-10-04 at the Wayback Machine GeoNews
- The Royal House of Georgia. Appendix of Additional Information No13. The Legal Heir to the Royal Throne of the Georgian Bagrationi Dynasty
- (in Russian) крещенье Георгия Багратиони Video by Nugzar Kereselidze
- (in Russian) В Грузии состоялось крещение царевича Георгия из рода Багратионов «Голос России»
- (in Lithuanian) Gruzijoje įvyko dviejų metų kunigaikščio Georgijaus krikštynos Kauno diena
- (in Russian) Патриарх Илия II: «Это исторический акт» - В Грузии крестили потомка древнего царского рода Багратионов Русская линия
- World press on political situation in Georgia (November 6, 2013). Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- (in Georgian) მარგველაშვილი ლევან ვასაძის სკოლაში NetGazeti
- Consulate of the Kingdom of Spain. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- (in Georgian) სვეტიცხოველში უფლისწული გიორგი მონათლეს InterPressNews
- (in Georgian) პატრიარქი: დღევანდელი დღე ისტორიულია ExpressNews
- (in Georgian) უფლისწულის ნათლობა Maestro TV
- (in Georgian) ლევან ვასაძე: დღეს მყარი საფუძველი ჩაეყარა კონსტიტუციური მონარქიის აღდგენას GHN News
- "Second Birthday of Giorgi Bagration Bagrationi". Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- (in Russian) Грузинский принц стал почетным инспектором испанской полиции Грузия Online